Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot access SYS From xp workstaion

Status
Not open for further replies.

juzeppy

MIS
Apr 20, 2001
I have a NW4 server with 2 user license. There is a win95 workstaion and an XP professional workstaion. I am using the latest client verson for xp recently downloaded from the novell site. There are two volumes on the server. From the xp workstion I can see the sys volume when I first login, then when I try to access the volume I get a message: "z:\ is not accessable- the network name cannot be found."
I have access to the other volulme but not sys
I am logging in as Admin. I don't have this problem if I log in from the win95 workstation. I have given user admin full rights to the sys volume using nwadmin32(from the 95ws).
Anyone have any idea a way out of this?

It's cause you're using a 2 user license. That's pretty typical scenario when you run out of licenses, or in your case are using eval or a non licensed config. Servers without licenses installed will default to 2 grace user logins. Best thing to do is install a 5 user license.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

I installed a license disk which was labeled 2 users. I still have the problem if the other workstaion is not logged in. I attempted to install patches for the client (sp1 & sp1a for 4.9 client). Unfortunately the self extracting installation files I downloaded from Novell would not self extact.
This is a test network to see how our applications behave on Xp workstation. Getting another license is not an option.

Maybe it's the protocol then. Novell Client 4.9 defaults to only installing IP, but you need IPX to connect to a Novell 4.x server.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

I did a custom install when I installed the client and selected ip+ipx (after several attempts using the default install and wondering why the computer could not find the tree or server)

I had previously tried using Microsoft client for Netware and was able to login. The login was limited because The Microsoft client would allow log into the server but not the tree
(This server was upgraded from 3.12-forgot to mention) I could log in as supervisor but not as admin when using the Microsoft clint for NW. I wanted to use the Netware clint in order to have more control over the volumes in order to overcome the following problem:

the files copied to the netware volumes were flagged as read only (under xp). I would clear the read only status only to see that the status was set back to read only again. (The applications we are testing would not work 100% because they could not modifiy files on the server)

I finally was able to install the 4.9 client, log in as Admin only to find I can't tweak anything from the xp workstation because Sys is inaccessable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back