Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot access network share 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

UTTech

MIS
Oct 11, 2000
US
I am trying to access a network share on Win 98 2nd platform. I can see the PC in Network Neighborhood so when I double click on it, I get "//rsipple is not accessible. This device does not exist on the network". Same thing happens on another Win 98 PC. I can access it from a Windows 2000 platform though and I can also access other PCs on the Windows 98 platform.

Are you certain that the folder you are trying to access is not located on an NTFS partition. It is possible that the other 2000 machines are not NTFS but this one is.

sorry...still me...

I had a similar problem trying to connect three differnt OS's on my home peer-to-peer network (Win98, Win2k and XP).

For Win 98 to access the Win 2k share I needed to set permissions on the share to include the user from the Win98 workstation. That meant setting up that user locally on the Win 2K box.

I notice you're running a Netware client...is it a novell network?

I might be mistaken but, If you have two mchines setup with identical share names, within the same workgroup, under the
same domain, what distinguishes the two from one anther?

Thanks Deivis!!! I had the same problem and enabling NetBIOS on the Win2k machine solved it.[medal]

You need to do to the windows 2000 machine and setup a user account with the same name as the one you use to log into the 98 machine. If this does not work Add netbui on both machines if that works then remove netbui and reboot.

I have the same problem when trying to access network share located on Win2k computer from Win98SE based computer. I get the same error message. From Win2k computer I can access network share in Win98, but not vice versa. There are more Win2k computers on the network and all of them are inaccessable from Win98. But I can access WinNT 4.0 Server. This problem persist if there is IPX network protocol. Even enabling NetBIOS on both computers didn't help. If I install TCP/IP, everything works fine. But TCP/IP is not as fast as IPX. Please, help!

I am having a similar problem as Arkiontech is but i am trying to make it so my roommate can access (print mostly) my machine which is win2k from his which is a win95 machine. I had already solved the win 98 prob, It is as Hazard2002 has said. I created accounts (on the 2k machine) with the same name that the user enter when they log into their machine(win 98 etc). Now remember that the login must be for a network connection and not just a plain windows password login screen unless it happens to be the same. From a win2k to a win2k machine not much is necessary to do, they talk and share much simpler than 98 to 2k but 2k should read a 98 machine without many problems provided that the networking options are similar. To get back to my dilemma win95 machines don’t have logon screens when entering the computer (at least non that i am aware of). Any help would be welcome.

For me it is not a login/password related problem. When I use TCP/IP or NetBEUI, everything works fine: I can access network share on Win2k as it should be, because my win98 login and password are the same as my administrative account on Win2k. The problem is if I switch to IPX, I get that stupid error: &quot;&quot;//<computer> is not accessible. This device does not exist on the network&quot;. From win2k I can browse win98 shared folders thus I conclude that the problem is not rellated with internal network number (which is 0 on both computers) or frame type (set to Auto on both, because there is a WinNT 4.0 server on the nework) of IPX protocol. About your dilemma, Pagantus: Win95 doesn't have logon screen when starting windows if Primary Network Logon in Network properties window is set to &quot;Windows Logon&quot;. Set it &quot;Client of Micorsoft network&quot; and then you should get your logon window.

wow you guys have most of the probs figured out maybe you can help with this one......7 machine network, 4 x win98se and 2 WINME's. the server win2k Server NTFS Partition...

All show up in network neighbourhood but the server.....Why???

All machines can access server through the explorer \\&quot;server Name&quot; --- All shares work and everything seems fine.....The Server is shared correctly with accounts and admin rights are set.......

Sometimes after a reboot the server will show in networkneighbourhood on the clients but only for a brief period and then will dissapear...

Its only because we look for perfection that i ask this ? as everything is working.....

Regards scorpio

PS.....Tcp/IP Protocols running on all machines and the server has a second network card for access to the internet (adsl modem) that all machines use, this works fine.

I had the same problem... Remove IPX from the windows 98 computer and leave only TCP/IP... So the win98 computer can only use the IP protocol...

The problem is with the compatibility between the old IPX (win9x) and the new IPX (win2k and winXP)... I had the same problam playing Starcraft in network before the patch 1.09...IPX was not working...

LongStar

I am having a similar problem.

I have a Windows 2000 server running helpdesk software and I cannot access a shared folder. Other machines running windows 2k pro can see it fine, but my win98 machine cannot. The strange thing is that I can see the server in &quot;network neigbourhood&quot; but when I click it I get &quot;does not exist&quot;

If I go to the server itself and try to access a shared folder on my 98 machine, it works fine .. I am running Novell Client also.

Can anyone help me please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back