Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot access Network resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

rphips

IS-IT--Management
Sep 12, 2003
US
Hello everyone,

Its has been a while since I been on - Kinda unemployed for a while - but thats behind me now

I first posted this in the XP forum cause the common thread in the problem I am having is XP but it was suggested that I post here cause it could be a server problem.

Anyway I have this problem I rebuilt a XP pro box and it joined the domain with no problems - gets a IP address from the DHCP server (domain controller) but as soon as i go to map a drive or connect to a network printer I have to authenticate using the admin account - I checked the event logs and found error 1053 and errors 40960 - looked them up but MS fixes didn't apply (or didn't do anything) -

Does anybody know how to fix this problem?
Oh its XP to Windows 2003

I also have another company doing the same thing they are XP to Windows 2000 server

Never had this before so I am wondering if its a patch or something.

Does the user have the proper authority to access the resources you are trying to access? Check the permissions on the desired resources.

RoadKi11

Hey Good Day RoadKi11

I am afraid so - I read somewhere they someone else had the same problem and it ended up bieng a network card so I am checking on them now

any other suggestions?

I am baffled and trying anything

bob

Hello gang

Believe it or not I found the solution it was the nic card in the machine - I discovered it by loading up a different machine and it joined the domain and allowed access to the resources so -

"when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
(Sherlock Holmes)

anyway its now fixed.

bob

Close, the full quote is:

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

This sounds like no permissions for the user account on the share specified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back