Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot access LANPAK.BIN in the SITE directory 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wysiwygger

Programmer
Jun 20, 2006
AU
Hi,

I'm running SQL Server 2005 on Windows Server 2003.

Accpac is running on version 5.4 with the latest service packs.
I don't usually run Accpac on the server, I just connect to it from the workstation. However today I tried to run it on the server and received the following error when trying to log in:

Cannot access LANPAK.BIN in the SITE directory.

Make sure that the ShareDdata entry in the Windows Registry specified the drive and directory containing the SITE, USER and COMPANY subdirectories and that you have read/write/create access.

I've checked through the Registry entry : the SharedData value is the path to my Data folder. In in are the Site, User and Company folder. All permissions are set.

I cant figure out what's gone wrong. I know it used to work but can't tell when it stopped. Access from the workstations is still fine.

Hi,

thanks for your reply!

I ran the backup just before I received this error, but the backup went through fine.
Is there a way I can make sure the backup went ok?

Try to delete that file, it's just a temp file. If you can't delete it, it's still in use by something.

Hi,

I'm not so sure it has to do with backups or locked files.
I even restarted the server now and still can't log in!
Same error.

Hi,

It was working before and permissions hasn't been changed.
However I double checked permissions and it is set to full access.

Don't believe what you see, NT permissions can get whacked. Reset them from the highest part of the permission tree.

ok...reset permissions now but still no luck.
I logon as administrator on the server anyway...

What happens if I delete lanpak.bin and copy it back in from a backup?

Hi,

deleting LANPAK.BIN didn't fix the problem either...
Any more ideas?

Nope, I've installed this product several hundred times and never had this problem. Problems with the files in \SITE are 100% of the time caused by network permissions or backup programs.

FWIW, there was a posting on the Sage site that said if the domain Administrator password is changed, the Accpac COM+ components get confused, but that was for version 5.2.

Get the process monitor from Microsoft (from when they bought the SysInternals programs). It will tell you what the problem is - rights, bad folder, etc.)

Hi DjangMan,

thanks for that.
Can't find anything unusual though. Only error which relates to lanpak.bin:

Sequence: 112598
Date & Time: 12/05/2008 5:44:42 PM
Event Class: File System
Operation: LockFile
Result: NOT GRANTED
Path: D:\Program Files\ACCPAC\DATA\SITE\LANPAK.BIN
TID: 3716
Duration: 0.0000034
Exclusive: True
Offset: 102,401
Length: 1
Fail Immediately: True

This is only 1 out of 12 processes it shows me for lanpak.bin with the result: "not granted".
All the others showing "success" - so not sure whether this is something....
I've been testing with version 1.32

I would expect it to fail trying to get Exclusive access. All Accpac clients will need to share this file except during upgrades.

The trick with using the monitor is turning it off as quickly as you can after the error appears and using the filters to avoid reading through all of the events that happen in those 10 seconds.

Also, going back to rights - make sure that Everyone has full rights and try removing any extra rights that have been placed on those folders for other users.

Process Monitor still only shows the one error from above.

I don't understand why all clients can connect to Accpac just fine but when I try to log in on the server it fails.

I've loaded the database again and double checked/re-assigned permissions - didn't help...
:(

This has absolutely nothing to do with the database, and everything to do with folder and file permissions. It may even be something like putting the path into the the IE Trusted Sites list.

Have a look at the Path environment variable. Does it refer to more than one or an older install of Accpac?

Path variable refers to:
D:\Program Files\ACCPAC\RUNTIME;

This path is correct and the only entry for Accpac.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back