Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot access hard drive in windows 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

techtv

Technical User
Dec 31, 2002
NZ
Hi all im having trouble getting into my hard drive (letter H: )as it asks me if i want to format it again?
i think it could be a cheap usb mp3 player causing the problem as i installed the driver in 98se and it wouldnt work but in 2000 the player worked fine but then to my shock horror i couldn't get into my hard drive. i even checked the properties of the hd and it said unknown file system? so beats me oh also i did try to upgrade to xp pro wether that could have anything to do with it.

Any help would be appreciated
thank you
Tim:)

I work with HDD a lot and have had this happen a lot with western digitals. My drives werent compressed(meaning "zipped" up to save space) and i had to reformat and reinstall windows to get it to work. In some cases that didnt work and i did have to reformat....like windows screwed it up or something. If that doesnt work i would invest a good 80$ in some decent data recovery software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back