Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot access FTP site

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetDummy

Programmer
Sep 18, 2006
MY
I am using IIS4 to set up an ftp server so that files can be transfered back and forth between two companies. I have setted up a FTP user group, set NT permission for the group to Full at the FTP folder, added the group to the FTP Site Operators list in the FTP Site Property page, still, I could not access the FTP site using an account in the FTP group.

However, if I add the FTP group to the Administrator group, I could then access the FTP site. I also can access the FTP site using an Administrator account. The problem is that I don't want to assign Administrator permissions to the FTP group or giving anyone outside Administrator permission, is there a way that I can do this. TIA.

i havn't had this problem befor, but i've been told with a simalare problem that the users must have the right to logon locally... and that you must log the user on once to make it work... try it... or see if it helps ya...

--jr1544

I had this exact same trouble.
Running Win2k Server as the domain controller.

To allow users to log on locally, I had to change the domain controller security policy.
(Domain Controller Security Policy\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignment)

I did the following and it seemed to work for me. I added my_ftp_user to every category IIS's default user (IUSR_COMPUTERNAME) was in.
These were:
Access this computer from the network
Logon as a batch job
Logon locally

After I did that, it worked beautifully. I'm not sure why, but just adding the account to "Logon locally" did not work.
Maybe someone can answer that for me.

This thread really put me on the right track.
Many thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back