Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot access FTP on IIS 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

melospawn

IS-IT--Management
Feb 12, 2001
DE
Hi,

I cannot get into FTP on a W2000 Server with SP2 & IIS 5.0. I can get if I use a User who is on the Administration group.

What groups must the user be in order to get into FTP? (don't allow anonymous users). Also, folder has everyone group rights so they can get into it.

Thanks a lot

Carpe Diem.
Carmelo Lopez-Portilla
CCNA, MCP
e-mail:clopez@infoport.digitainer.com

I have the same problem. I added the person to the print operaters group and then they could get in. I really don't want to add any groups to the user but I thought this would be the best group to use (not as many rights as others). I would like the same question answered.

Hi, I tried that and it did work. But I guess that's just a temporary fix.

If someone knows the answer please, we will love to hear from you

Thanks a lot Carpe Diem.
Carmelo Lopez-Portilla
CCNA, MCP
e-mail:clopez@infoport.digitainer.com

Instead of giving group rights to folder just try adding the user to the security settings with modify and write controls.

The users can be in any group as long as it has read write permissions. Depending on how many users you are letting access your ftp site you might want to look at just adding them to the security setting on the folder you wish them to access and giving them the correct rights.

This problem is NTFS permissions. If you give IUSE_MACHINENAME account read access to the drives in question everyone can have anonymous access.

For better security, just create a group called FTP Users. Throw all the users who need to use FTP into this group, and give this group read access to the files they need to access.

For even better security, assign users specific read access to files they need access to.

By default, IIS 5.0 does not open up anonymous access to FTProot, so you have to add it if you want users to access drives.

Good luck, and let me know if this helps

Galrahn
galrahn@galrahn.com

Thanks for all the suggestions but It still dosn't work. I have tryed all of these suggestions before but thinking maybe I missed something I tryed them again. I created a user gave him rights to the FTProot folder and to the folder I wanted him to have acess to in FTP. Still he is unable to log in to the FTP site. Could not log me in with specified user name and password. The person is a regular user who can log into the domain with no problems. If I give him Print operator rights he gets into the FTP site with no problems. I do not want to allow anonymous access to the FTP site. Is the answer in front of me and I just missed it Please help!

Same Problem Experienced here. I moved our FTP site to a Win 2000 Server, which is also the Secondary Domain Controller. I am using Active Directory. And IIS 5.0.

I created a Group called FTP Users. I gave FTP Users read/write access in the securities tab to allow these users to upload and download.

I also Disabled allow anonymous access. And went into the Properties and enabled Log On Locally under the Domain Policies.

Any known Solutions?

BH2

I have the same problem. It's been blowing my mind as of late. I hava a whole drive dedicated to ftp. The drive is NTFS. I created a global security group called FTP Users. I added the users to this group. The drive is set for doman Admins full control and FTP Users have read and write. This is on a Win2k server sp3 w/ IIS 5. The only account that can log on is mine and it's a doman admin. everyone else can't log in. The ftp has no annoy access. I have tried everying I can think of. Whats funny is one day last month it just stoped working. It was fine before. Maybe some patch that applied automatically closed it up somehow. If I add any of my users to doman admin, they can get in. Although that is not an option. Any other ideas

I had the same problem until I read your thread. I beleive the problem is the users or groups you are using to access your ftp site do not have permission to log on locally.

Simply give them permission by opening DOMAIN CONTROLLER SECURITY MMC and finding "log on local"

Give them permission to log on locally.

I had to reboot my server, but I was impatient and wanted to find out right away. If you let it cook....maybe it will work without a reboot.

Thanks for your thread.
doug
MCSE +I 4.0
MCP 2000 (one from MCSE)
MASTER MOUS 2000

Go to computer manager. Select the user you want to share and bring up the properties. Select the profile tab. Enter the local path (eg. c:\inetpub\ftproot). Turn off anonymous access in IIS. If you give everyone full permission to the ftproot and it's subfolders, this configuration will allow you in automatically, If you restrict the folders to specific users, it will as you for login with password.

Good luck,
jossung

I was having trouble using FTP on iis/W2KPro while my website worked perfectly. The FTP I was trying to set up as login protected, and would come back with permissions error when opening. I added ftpuser to users and had to set permissions to the actual folder to allow the login. Now logs in after auth. and allows read, write, & dir in that folder only. Even though the folder is pointed to in the iis setup, the permissions are not modified by iis to allow the selected account to access it. Hope this helps, & thanks to all for many problems solved by these postings.

I was having the same problem with a user I just created for the purpose of accessing my personal FTP server from a friend's computer. I enabled the user to log on locally, to access the computer from the network, I added him to the permissions of the FTP root folder and even put it in a FTP_USERS group so I could create more accounts if needed. Yet, it wouldn't work. What was causing the FTP server to refuse the login was that in the profile of the user I just created, the "User must change password at next logon" box was checked. After unchecking the box, all works perfectly now. Hope it works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back