Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot access/configure BEFW11S4v2 router via the web based utility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koosh

Technical User
Jun 22, 2003
CA
We have 5 pc's connected to our router and working correctly. However, when we need to access the router configuration, it seems that only one of the pc's can actually connect to the router to view/change the settings. When we try to access from one of the pc's that cannot connect, the browser (IE) just churns and eventually times out. FYI, once in a blue moon, we can actually access the router from one of the other pc's but this is rare and actually hasnt happened at all lately.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix the router/browsers so that we can access the router from any pc?

Thanks.

In IE, Tools, Internet Options, General, Local Intranet, Custom Level, scroll down to user authentication and click to enable 'Prompt for username and password.'

I made the above change and still could not access the router. I get the same response.. churn churn, then gateway timeout error. Any ideas on what I should try next?

. Do a flush of all temporary internet files and history.
. I just placed a shortcut on the desktop to access the router, you might consider this trick as well:

right-click the Desktop, New, Shortcut.
right-click the new shortcut, Properties
For the Target field put: (assuming the default password and username)

I am assuming the wireless clients are using the DHCP services of the wireless router.

BTW, if you click the text line I provided for the target field of the shortcut, you should see your router setup page.

after clearing the temp & history and making the shortcut, same result, still cannot view the router setup page, still churns then times out...

just to make sure this doesnt make a difference, we had previously changed the ip from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.##.#.

also, we do not have a login, but the password is not 'admin', but 'xxxxxxxx'

so i actually did this property:

When you assigned the static ip to the router, did you also change the DHCP range so that it is on the same subnet?

In other words if you:

Router: 192.168.168.10
DHCP: 192.168.1.100 -- 192.168.1.149 ?????

Will not work unless the subnet, the third octect of the the IP address, is identical in both cases with subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

You did not change the subnet mask did you?

1.you've gotta make sure that you are obtaining an IP address automatically from the router,which would be 192.168.1.# segment.You can check this by running the Command prompt using the "ipconfig".
2.Open up your browser by entering the 192.168.1.1 and if the browser won't allow you to open up the Setup Screen,please check all the browser settings,and try again.
If not,set your PC to static IP with am IP address of 192.168.1.20,Subnet Mask:255.255.255.0;Gateway:192.1681.1.1
3.Then you can access the Setup utility page of the router.

ironwill,

They changed the default subnet and router address. Read the thread completely.

Koosh,

Hi!!! if you cannot access the set up page of the router...this is what youre going to do:

1. make sure that you can ping the router...based on the new LAN ip address that you assign on the router. go to the MS DOS PROMPT...then type "ping 192.168.xxx.xxx"

2.if you can ping it, but still cannot access the routers set up page from the internet explorer...tools..internet options..connections..lan settings button...make sure that theres no check marks...then click ok..then on the security tab...click the custom level button...and then on the settings...scroll it doen and look for log-on..chose automatic log-on with current username and password and then reset to: choose medium-low...then click on ok...after that..click ok again and then close the internet explorer.

3. launch a new internet explorer and then try to type the lan ip that you assign on the router...that willmake you go on the routers set up page...

hope that helps....[ponytails]

"imagination is more important than knowledge."

thanks for all your help guys. Still no go though..

Here are the settings:
my ip: 192.168.##.102
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 <-- this has always been such
router: 192.168.##.9

I can ping 192.168.##.9 from DOS.

We had this same problem with the pc's when the router was set to the IP 192.168.1.1

I downloaded Opera and have the same problem with it as well. What other suggestions do you guys have?

My IP is 192.168.1.10

Can you access me? No.

Please do not ## NAT addresses, because I think your problem lies in them being set inapproriately.

The third octect is very important in an IP address. You do have a lot of alternatives should you choose not to use the 192.168 subnet class. But no matter, I think you are inadvertandly assigning subnets.

Router IP 192.168.10.1 (the third octect is arbitrary, but cannot be 0, and should not be 254 and cannot be 255)

Your IP. You must set the base IP address in the router to handle your third octect and subnet mask. This has to be done manually.

for the life of me behind a NAT router I cannot imagine why your are doing such strange things to a private addressing scheme other than if you are running a VPN connection.

If I were you I would set to factory defaults, disable remote access, enter your ISP configuration data, update the firmware on router and clients, and leave the IP addressing scheme alone.

I am not setting the actual settings to ##, I just typed that because I did not want my wireless router IP address to be fully known.

Since this is confusing and this is an internal router, these are the actual settings:

Here are the settings:
my ip: 192.168.22.102
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
router: 192.168.22.9

I can ping 192.168.22.9 from DOS.

let me know if this helps

koosh,

All of that seems fine, and thank you for printing the thrid octet. Your security is not compromised having done so.

I suspect you have a TCP/IP issue with your MTU setting at the client.

1. Confirm that the router is set to Manual MTU settings of 1492 for DSL, 1400 for any AOL provided broadband, and 1500 for general cable uses.

2. Go to this site from a problematic wireless client, select Tools from the left hand side, Tweak test:
3. Check this site to be absolutely certain your firmware and/or client drivers are up to date. Linksys released a mess of new drivers this week: and their FTP site: ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/

Follow the recommendations from step #2 to adjust your client RWIN and MTU values. There is a software download they will show on the site, DRTCP. Write down the suggested RWIN values and MTU and use DRTCP to set the values on each client. Then reboot the client.

Let me know how it goes.
I am impressed that you edited my little shortcut script above. Check it twice and lets try again.

Best,
Bill

thanks but still no go...

this is what I did, using the tweak test:

- set mtu to 1500 (im on cable)
- set rwin to 37960
- upgraded firmware

also, this is strange but good, but maybe the above fixed it, but last nite, I downloaded Opera and it did not work, but after these changes I can now access the router web based utility with Opera, but IE still churns and churns until I get a Gateway timeout error....

Your connecivity is good then.

I could give you detailed instructions about how to clean out crap in your HOSTS file, and Winsock server stacks, but fortunately for both of use this had been done:

1. Repair on the bad notebook client your registry stacks for Winsock:
2. Under IE, Tools, Internet Options, delete all &quot;Temporary Internet Files&quot;

3. Run Spybot:
4. Run AdAware:
4. Under &quot;My Computer&quot;, double click, then right-click your drive C. Do the disk cleanup.

I am not kidding that you need to do all of these steps. I honestly do not think you have a trojan or malware on your client workstation. But humour me, lets make certain. The disk cleanup and removal of temp files has to do with problems under Windows with negative DNS Caching. The reboot asked for is similar. If you have failed DNS requests repeatedly under XP it may just fail a subsequent request even if it could succeed.

Final note: I have on a day-to-day basis both wired and wireless clients in my home. Anytime I play with the router I disconnect everyone but me (wired). I reset the router to manufacturer's defaults. I hold down the reset button for nearly one minute. I wait until the red dia light comes one, everything flashes, and the red diag light goes off.

I unplug it for 1 minute. I plug it back in and when it appears stable, put back all of my settings.

I then unplug it for 1 minute. And plug it back in.

I would not risk using a wireless client to change the router settings.

It sounds like what you need is to change port forwarding assignments. If you explain what ports need to be opened, I think it could be done with a combination of freeware 3rd party utilites and uPnP.

Reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back