Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cancelling Reinstall of Windows XP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimdevon

IS-IT--Management
Oct 14, 2002
US
I have looked, and could not find a solution for the problem I have. I was having problems with Windows XP Pro on my laptop. I decided to reinstall XP. During install, on reboot, I received an error message. Everytime it reboots, it reverts to install, then reboots, in a loop. I know I can edit the boot.ini file, but cannot get into the drive to accomplish this. I installed another hard drive and reinstalled XP. I then used my old drive in a case as an external drive. Can I edit the boot.ini file from Windows Explorer in my old drive?

Thanks in advance, Jim

Let's see if I have this right... your original laptop HD shows errors when you try to re-install Windows XP but a replacement laptop HD works OK when you re-install XP?

If so, have you run disk diagnostics on your original HD to check whether it's at fault?

Is you current install aware of the other damaged XP, can it see the drive and folders?

Are you showing both Hidden and System files via Folder Options?

Is it a Permissions problem?

HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP (Q308421)

Error Message: "Access Is Denied" When You Try to Open NTFS File System Folders

Linny, Thanks for the info. It helped me to access my files on the hard drive. I can now import them to my new drive. I wonder if you know how I can access the boot.ini file on my old drive. This would allow me to repair it, which would mean I would not have to reinstall my programs. Thanks again for the help. Jim

Is the old drive connected to this machine still?

I can only repeat what I have already stated. Make sure that Hidden files, and System files are shown and viewable via Folder Options (setting). You'll find it at Control Panel/ Folder Options/ View.

Also sometimes the Boot.ini is a Read-only file and that Attribute may have to be changed if you are manually editing it.

HOW TO: Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows XP (Q289022)

A Discussion About the Bootcfg Command and Its Uses (Q291980)

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

HOW TO: Create a Boot Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partition in Windows XP(Q305595)

How to Use System Files to Create a Boot Disk to Guard Against Being Unable to Start Windows XP (Q314079)

Thanks again Linney. I finally decided to keep my new installation on the new drive and reinstall my software. It allowed me to start with a clean drive, since I install some software temporarily, which slows down my system. JS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back