Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cancelling a form POST action

Status
Not open for further replies.

trimtrom

Programmer
Dec 12, 2003
GB
Hello

I am a web beginner, and I have a login page as the first page of a ASP web application I am designing. On this page I have a standard HTML form of two input boxes for username and password and a submit button to POST the input to another form.

My problem is that I want to validate this information before the POST, and if necessary cancel the POST so that I stay on the current page in order to correct the form input and try again. I have succeeding in validating the input using VBscript routines so that I know when I want to cancel, but I don't know the cancel command.

The VBscript routine where I do the validation is the submit button_click event and I presume that is where the cancel command would go. Is this correct? I would be very grateful for code clips on how to issue the cancel command.

Many thanks,

Trimtrom

Unless you want your page to only work in IE, I suggest you switch to JavaScript, rather than using VBScript. Here's roughly how you should do this:

Code:
<script type="text/javascript">
	function validated() {
		// this function should return the boolean value true
		// if validation is successful, false otherwise
	}
</script>

<form onsubmit="return(validated());">

If you need to take it further, I suggest heading over to the JavaScript forum (forum216).

Hope this helps,
Dan

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

Many thanks for the help. However I am writing this for an intranet which only uses IE, and I have been told to use VBscript.

Is there any way you could provide a solution in VBscript?

Many thanks,

Trimtrom

Try making an example yourself. If you have any specific problems, ask them in the VBScript forum.

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back