Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you use a form to add to an XML document?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LenLindquist

IS-IT--Management
Oct 17, 2002
US
Hello,

I'm a beginner at XML and have what I assume is a fairly basic set of questions:

Can I have a form written in XHTML that asks for the content of various fields in an XML document and add to that XML document on-the-fly? E.g., ask for "name" and then have the name they enter appear in my XML document.

Can I do it without an application server of any kind?

Can I do it without JavaScript?

Thanks much,
Len

Do you want the form data saved on the server in the form of XML? It will require some sort of server side program to parse the form data and then save it.

Someday XForms will address these problems more directly, but right now you have to use a script to laboriously parse the form data.

Petey:

Yes, saving the information on the server is what I was hoping to do.

Doing things "laboriously" is exactly what I'm trying to avoid by using XML. I suppose I'll wait until these XForms you speak of are developed and supported by the major browsers.

Thanks for responding!

Len

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back