Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you unlock a 2000 Server Console Remotely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

schin101

MIS
Sep 29, 2004
US
I have users that need to do work on servers occasionally at the console, I get tired of walking to another room with them to unlock a server. I can't have them use a different user account, how can I unlock it remotely? This server is on a DMZ so I don't want to install VNC or any software on it. Is there anyway to do it without going third party? There is always an account logged on, we lock the screen.

One: Is it a DC?
Two: If it IS a DC, can't you just add that user as a user, and lock down the rights to the local machine?
Three: If it is NOT a DC, add the user, and let them log-on under their own profile.

If by your last sentence you mean the user walks away from the computer, and locks (either manually, or with an auto screen saver) the computer, then a DIFFERENT user needs to use it after, I think you might be out of luck. XP has fast user switching, but this does not log the user off automatically, so you would still be in the same position, unless you had the users select switch users from the shut-down menu. I cannot say if server 2003 would allow this, but I know 2K server will NOT.

e-mail me at ddraper at igalaxy dot net

Basically I don't want to create users or anything. Is there something through the command line I can use to unlock the console.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back