Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you trick an FC4500's cache to enable without an SPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noviceAdmin

Technical User
Feb 3, 2007
US
I have an FC4500 in my home office lab. I had two functioning SPS units and am now down to one. This is a test RAID so I have no critical data and I can plug it into a nice UPS when the second SPS fails. I am worried about losing the other SPS and then having the SP disable my cache. Without write cache, the performance of these RAIDs is terrible. Does anyone know a trick to keep the cache enabled without an SPS? I have priced SPS units and they are out of my budget.

Thanks.

While there do appear to be some high priced sps, I saw one on ebay for 65 bucks. Not too bad. If the sps that faulted is just bad batteries, you could probably get away with replacing the batteries. There are 4 internal.. they go for about 15 bucks each. They'd probably change 'em for you at a battery store.
Cache will work if one sps is operational. In order to make that happen, you'd have to power cycle the clariion and just ocme up with one sps attached. Before you power cycle, I'd disable write cache just in case the other sps is marginal. You don't want to risk a dirty cache and corrupted data.
Of course, running with one sps is a risk. If you lose power and that sps is marginal, you've pretty much lost your Luns.
If you do that, backup religiously.
For sps emulation look to this link:
I recommend running with two sps's for piece of mind and data protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back