Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you suggest a motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanGilbreth

Technical User
Oct 24, 2004
I'm looking for a motherboard that will go very well with these components:

Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 2.40GHz (1066FSB) (Socket 775)

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-8500C5 1066MHz Dual Channel Kit (x2 - 4GB - I do a lot of heavy video and sound editing on Vista, and I don't mind paying double for 4GB (gives me piece of mind!))

2 x NVIDIA Geforce 7900 GTX's in SLi (Used from an older computer - not a new purchase, but I definitely want a SLi compatible motherboard)

Creative Soundblaster X-Fi (Again used from an older computer - not a new purchase)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I'm not too familiar with what's hot on the Intel side of things, but the Abit IP35 line were the boards that I was strongly considering before I bought AMD.

One suggestion about your memory, instead of going with 4x1GB, get a 2x2GB kit. The price shouldn't be significantly different, and the reasons are two-fold:

1. The more devices that you put on the memory bus, the more likely you are to have signaling issues that require you to use lower speeds, etc. Some boards can be very picky when all memory slots are used.

2. If you go with 2x2GB, then you'll still be able to expand to 6 or 8 GB of total RAM if you later decide that you want or need more.

Intel P35 chipset equipt motherboards I believe are Crossfire and not Nvidia SLI compatible, so the current "best" for Nvidia SLI would be an Nvidia 680i chipset equipt motherboard, something like:

Gigabyte's GA-N680SLI-DQ6 (rev. 2.0)

Abits incedible IN9 32X-MAX Wi-Fi

MSI P6N Diamond

Asus Striker Extreme

You won't go far wrong with any of these boards.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Good catch...I missed the part about SLI, which rules out anything but an nVidia chipset.

Three more I've spotted, with the same chipset.
Possibly cheaper options than the previously mentioned.

Biostar TF680i SLI Deluxe (NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI)
ECS PN2 SLI2+ (NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI)
Foxconn N68S7AA-8EKRS2H

PS never really been much of a fan of ECS products but the Foxconn and Biostar brands are OK.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Thank you all very much, but in the meantime I have been doing some searching and I have come to the conclusion of an EVGA 680i (A1 Revision), but is there any reason why one of the suggested boards would be better?

Thanks again!

The chip set are the same, its just the company who makes it. Personal preference really...

I had an evga GeForce video card a few months back - it died within a month (The fan seized up!). I know one bad experience does not a pattern make but that won't stop me from avoiding evga products in the future.
Conversely - I have used and abused Asus products for 15 years now and never had a problem.

So why did I try the evga board in the first place? When the boss is writing the check he gets to pick who he writes it to. After specifically avoiding saying "I told you so" I convinced him to replace the bad card with an Asus.

I will say evga gave us no problems on the return and refund.

I forgot the important part - If it were me, I'd go with Asus - although I have friends who swear by Abit and I agree that they have performed well for them. If an Asus where not available I would have no qualms about an Abit mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back