Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you run SMS Admin via Dialup successfully?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaineMoose

Technical User
Jan 4, 2002
US
With a reduced staff, I'd like to run sms sp4 at home, dial into the office and start up sms admin. I've loaded it ok, dialed in, and had a successful connection to the site. I was not able to open the collection (over 100) and I suspect a slow connection keeping that from happening. Other functions seem to be ok. Can review services, sms tools, etc...
Question: Has anybody done this successfully, and if so, dose anyone have a lessons learned? Rod, didn't see this mentioned in your books (bought them all and love them!)

Thanks all

Can you set up Terminal Services on the machine with the ADMIN console? I have done this and all we have is a 28.8 dial-up server (!!) and it works great.

JM

The sms server's running on a NT4 SP6 box, but terminal services are not installed. Guess i'm gonna have to break out the book's to see how that's done. Thanks for the input

I should have explained myself better.....

We have one SMS site server that was recently moved from NT4SP6 to W2K. Terminal Services are NOT set up on that box but easily could be in WIN2K. I used dialup long before the box was upgraded to WIN2K by enabling Terminal Services on a separate WIN2K box in our network and installing the SMS Admin console on it. So when you're onsite, you log on to the WIN2K/TS server and can run the SMS Admin console (you can obviously do this from any machine in the network with the SMS Admin console loaded). When you dial-in, once you autenticate and are attached to the network, open up a Terminal Session to the WIN2K/TS box with the SMS Admin console loaded and run the SMS Admin console. It almost as good as being there.

I have very little luck trying to actually open the SMS Admin consle over our blazing 28.8 dial service. It would take 15 minutes just to open up the collections! Terminal Services saved the day.

Good Luck!

JM

P.S. I have heard of people loading Terminal Services on their site server if it's WIN2K but I have lots of other APPS and tools set up on the Terminal Server I use so I just use that.

You can pretty much run anything from DialUp successfully but not recommended as you'll have VPN overhead also. To make matters worse, if you have a large output things could get really slow during queries and what not.

YOu'll be better off connecting via Terminal Server. Your SMS server should have TS on it anyways coming default with Win2k with a free 2 admin user license.

Just use broadband or DSL and you should be fine. Make sure you're secured! Your computer sounds like a goldmine to me if you have access to all the IP addresses, remote control, and much more to the enterprise from your home desktop.

I can recommend a few good security consulting agencies that can help you do this right depending on where you're located and be done licensed, insured, and at the best rates.

Regards,

Evil Clown.

Ooops, didn't realize you're still NT 4. I believe you'll need NT 4 OPtion Pack to get TS installed, it's been such a long time since I installed it on NT 4.

You'll also have to secure it as TS has many known bugs and security issues. Be sure not to accidentally install IIS on your box or you'll open another can of worms, security wise that is.

You'll have to install TS Client on your workstation unless you're using XP which has a TS Client already installed as Remote Destkop something something.

Also, TS on NT 4 may cost you where on Win2k it's free for up to two users in Admin mode, not in Application mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back