Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you run email on the Primary DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jny04

Technical User
Oct 6, 2004
GB
Hi there I have a query, I need to free up a server, and I have to DC one a PDC/GCS - Dc100 and mail100 for email.
both server 2003.

Can I promote the Mail server to become the PDC, and then make that server be the Global Cat/AD, and Mail Server all in one. and make the PDC redundant??? therefore running all the services on one machine??

I would have thought that the replication between the two would enable this??

Are you using exchange for your email? If so, I would suggest that you do not put exchange on a domain controller (although you can do it). Put exchange on a member server. Also, I would recommend that, in addtion to your exchange (member server) you have at least two other servers that are domain controllers.

Jim

I only need to do it for a few days, until I have rolled out a new domain..

If you can do it can you advise how? also is it poss to upgrade the 2003 to a PDC, and take the PDC offline!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back