Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you run a select Statement on a stored Procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stunner01225

Technical User
Mar 13, 2002
GB
I have a very complicated SQL Statement, but can I run a select Statement on a stored Procedure.?

No, but if it has no variables, then you can make it a view and use the view in a select statement. You can execute a SP however.
Try: Exec yourStoredProc parametersIfAny
-Karl

Nope.

Can you turn your proc into a view? if so you can run a select on that.

You could input the results of your proc into a temporary table then run a select on that i.e.

<first create a temp table that's the correct structure>

INSERT #Temptable
EXEC usp_MyProc

Note that you can't do this with a table variable, it has to be a "real" temporary table.

Final option is to have your proc accept optional parameters with the select criteria..

Any use??

Sam

How about using a funciton? If you move your code from the Procedure to a function then you can do a SELECT on it, same like you do with a table. So it would be like

Code:
SELECT * from <your_function> ( <Give all arguments here> )
	WHERE <field_name> = <value>

Hope I answered your question.

-Kris

Another convoluted approach would be to establish a linked server definition back to itself (the same server).
Then you can do an OPENQUERY to run your sp.
The mainline query will them treat the sp results as a temp table, to which you can JOIN, as necessary.

However, I wouldn't do this with large sp's producing large resultsets,
as it is very inefficient. I have also successfully used OPENQUERY to JOIN to DBCC output, such as DBCC INPUTBUFFER.

snag56

Wow, there's obscure solutions and there's obscure solutions! I'd hate to see what your dreams are like.

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back