Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you run 2000 server as both the PDC and a DNS server on one box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

agony

Technical User
Apr 11, 2002
TR
Can you run 2000 server as both the PDC and a DNS server on one box, with one NIC.

Provided this computer is alone and W2k installation is complete, use the "configure your server" wizard to install active directory. It will see there is no DNS and install it as part of the process. AD REQUIRES DNS to operate. Installing AD will make this server the root server in your new domain/forest.

Steve ----------------------------
Steven R. Tuttle
CBE, MCSE, BNCS, DCT, A+
Senior Consultant, ePresence
----------------------------

from what I understand in 2k there are no more PDC or BDCs. There are domain controllers and member servers If I remember the correct terms..

Well they are not really called PDC and BDC's in win2k. This is become they call update eachothers AD, but I think there is still one main server, its something to do with if the domain is in native or mixed mode. Thats my limit till I sort out some training, sorry.

Aduplicate, you are halfway right. As far as the fact that there is no more PDC and BDC. and the fact that they update eachother. However, Native verses Mixed mode is for windows NT. If you have any windows NT DC on the network, then you need to have your windows 2000 server in mixed mode or it will not recognize the NT server. Native is if you only have windows 2000 servers on your network. I hope that helps.
-akramy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back