Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you remove the lines in a forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

cleromancer

IS-IT--Management
Sep 3, 2003
AU
I work on a help desk and I was asked how to remove the 'forward lines' from an email that appear on the left of the text. I have looked around, but I cannot seem to find it. Even stripping all text formatting does not remove it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Not sure you can without a special program. This might explain it, and even if it does not, you might want to bookmark the web site it came from which contains a wealth o information on Eudora. By the way, have you tried the Eudora knowledge base?

Understand Quoting Styles
Eudora normally marks quoted material with vertical black bars--what Eudora calls excerpt bars --to the left of the quoted text. However, most email programs use ">". Even if you compose a message with excerpt bars, unless your correspondents use Eudora, they will probably see ">" where you see excerpt bars.

How can they see ">" when you see excerpt bars? Eudora sends the message with ">" marks at the beginning of every line of quoted material, but sends a special instruction hidden in the header. That instruction-- format=flowed --tells Eudora that lines starting with ">" can be word-wrapped. When Eudora receives a message with format=flowed , it then converts the ">" marks into excerpt bars and wraps the text.

If someone is using software that doesn't understand format=flowed , the software won't translate the message. The message will have ">" at the beginning of every quoted line.

Tip: If you are using Mac OS and like ">" better than excerpt bars, select Special -> Settings -> Styled Text and put a checkmark in the box marked Excerpts .

Here's a program that might be used - I haven't tried it, and the web site doesn't provide many details: emailSTRIPPER
It doesn't even say if it can be used with Eudora but seems to imply that it can be used with any email on Win or Linux.

Here's an online version:
You might try a google for "email stripper" with or without the quotes to find more.

The Eudora knowledge base also has
which says,
If, for some reason, you do not want to use format flowed and the excerpt bars, you can turn if off by copying and pasting the text below in to Eudora and double-clicking on the following:
<x-eudora-setting:260=1>

In Eudora's edit menu (while viewing the message), you can pick &quot;Edit > Text > Remove Quote Level&quot;. Select the text you want to alter first, then use the menu.

Sorta' late with this reply, but good information is always welcome, correct? I use a program called ClipMate 6 ( that is used for Copy/Paste functions and stores thousands of &quot;Copies&quot; that you make for later use. One of the great &quot;PLUS&quot; features is the e-mail cleanup feature that offers a custom setup to strip trash from old e-mail messages.

Try it...it's a great software and very professional.

jan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back