Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you protect images/graphics on a web page?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaddyT

Technical User
Dec 12, 2000
GB
I would like to stop an image being saved locally by a viewer of the webpage. Is this possible? I realise that the images need to be downloaded in order to view the page, but I have seen in the past that it is possible to stop the right click/save as option of an image.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how this can be achieved?

Thanks in advance...

There are a number of ways to stop the casual surfer, but not many to prevent the rest of us. See faq215-3101

You can disable the right-click - check the javascript forum or one of the many javascript sites on-line, but that can be easily overcome.

traingamer

Put your image inside a Flash movie embedded in your site, right clicking on it will display only the flash options. Some actionScript can also prevent printing.

Again, what is the point to alienate your visitors in something that won't even work for sure?

Even with Flash you can't prevent a screen shot.

As traingamer said you can make it difficult enough for the casual surfer several different ways, but ultimately if you don't want someone to be able to get it... don't put it on the web.

Hope it's worth something.

If you publish it on the web, it's published. I mark up all my web images so that any copying just advertises my site. See and click on any of the images to see what I mean

'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

for steam enthusiasts

No offence johnwm, but there is nothing in digital format that cannot be copied. Bit clumsy but then it took about 30 seconds in Fireworks to erase your watermark.

ap001full6sa.jpg

[Peace][Pipe]

No argument with that Cheech. I know you can't stop people copying and fudging! Hence my comment above:<q> If you publish it, it's published</q> [smile]

My main object is to stop people linking to my graphics without attribution.

'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

for steam enthusiasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back