Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you print the file structure from Windows Explorer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faded

Programmer
Feb 6, 2002
CA
Hello,

I am looking for an easy method of printing the recurrsive contents of a folder from within Windows Explorer. I have found a couple utilities that will print the contents of a single folder, but not the contents of the folders within that folder etc. Has anyone got any recommendations of how to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance.

Faded

This is probably not exactly what you're looking for (a textual, editable listing), but the mostly-forgotten Print Screen key on your keyboard can be used to capture a bitmap view of the screen you're viewing. Hold down the "Alt" key before pressing "Print Screen" to limit the capture to only the active window (such as Windows Explorer or My Computer). Then go into Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc., and do a simple "Paste." Click on the pasted image, and, for a MicroSoft application, the "Edit Picture" toolbar should appear. Click on the button that looks something like scissors (two interlocked "V"s), which is the "crop" button. Use this to drag the square dots (handles) in the middle of each side of the image (NOT on the corners) to crop the image down to the part you want to be visible (such as the directory tree). Unclick the crop button, and drag a corner of the image to increase or decrease its size. This is an extremely useful technique for getting images into a presentation or document, when there is no other way to do it. (For regular documents, use "print preview" to get the best view, or "view" then "full screen," before doing the capture). Keep in mind that the resulting document can grow rapidly in disk size, as you add images.

There are utilities for capturing all or part of the screen (as a bitmap image) more easily, such as SnagIt, but the above technique is easy and free!

Hope this helps, until you find the utility you're looking for.

You could also try using the classic DOS command "tree". Start a command prompt, and type "tree c:\ /f /a > ctree.txt" (w/o quotes). This will output a tree like structured ascii text file named ctree.txt into your current directory.

Thanks for the help. I was trying to stay away from the command line method to keep it really simple for the users, however, that seems to be the most reasonable way to get the print out.

Faded

you could make a batch file using the tree command for the users.

Thanks for the input.

The batch file is the perfect solution. Why didn't I think of that!

Here is what I did.

In a file titled printtre.bat, I entered this text:

tree /f /a > printtre.txt
notepad printtre.txt

Now when a user wants to print the directory structure, I just put the batch file into the directory they want to print, and they run the .bat and up pops notepad with the entire content in printable format.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Faded

Snag It works great. You can always do it old school from a DOS prompt:

C:\dir *.* /s >>C:\filename.txt

this will copy all the contents of Folders and Sub Folders under the C:\ drive into the file "Filename.txt". It works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back