Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you pass LPIC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coopw1

IS-IT--Management
Jun 22, 2003
GB
For any one out there thinking of going for LPIC 101 and 102, bear in mind the following: You need to have a broad background knowledge and have worked with UNIX/LINUX for at least 18months in command line mode (stay away from the GUI side).
YES! You do need to earn this one. 8 people including myself went on a 7 day boot camp (0700-2400HR everyday non stop LINUX!! - I have 3 years LINUX experience + IRIX adm cert) and 2 people passed - me included :) On those stats that's a 25% pass rate. Of course this is dependent on numerous variables, of which experience is important. For instance, 2 applicants run their companies DNS/ Apache webserver (failed), 1 applicant had MSCE (failed) 2 applicants were newbies (failed) 1 applicant had 2 years commericial help desk experience with UNIX (failed). 2 applicants had 2 or more years SYS ADM production environment experience with UNIX (passed).

Give it a go!

Hi,
LPIC is vendor independant and there is no "official" documentation. For Level 1, you have some books towards certification like "General Linux exam crams" or "LPI in a nutshell", but it is not an official document and does not cover the whole content.

If you look at the content on the LPI website, you should find some good books to cover the modules. I have bought a fine book to prepare to the 202 exam : "Advanced Linux Networking". It is a good book to learn. But it is not LPI oriented. For sure you will need more then 8 days to read it, if you want to understand his content :)

What's more, in Linux, you have thousands of "HowTo" which covers every modules.

About your score : I think the average score is about 60%. If you are using UNIX at the command line, you will find 50% of the question very straightforward. Then be sure you know all what will be asked. For exemple, I am a newbie in USB and XFree86.

Tip of the day : If you pass your exam by VUE.COM instead of PROMETRICS.COM, you can choose your distribution (RedHat or Debian), so you won't have to learn both package mechanism.

Regards
L.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back