Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you mix Cisco and HP switches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hinesjrh

MIS
Jan 4, 2005
US
Do you see any issue with mixing Cisco and HP switches at the same location? I have Cisco switches installed in an MDF closet and I am now adding an IDF closet. I have an HP switch I could use there. Is it possible to run fiber from a Cisco 2950 (SX) to an HP 2650 with a mini-GBIC?

Are there any special configurations to consider?

Shouldn't be any issues as long as you know how to configure the HP , make sure all your speeds and duplexes match . Think HP's even run CDP .

There are SC-LC/SC-MTRJ fibers. You just need to make sure that both GBICs are either running multi-mode or single-mode and then buy the correct MM/SM fiber cables.

And don't plan on running VTP with your HP switches. :) You could run GVRP, though, but then you'd have to turn off VTP on your Cisco switches.

My scenario has changed a bit now that I have looked closer at the current set up.

I have two Cisco 2950 swithes each in the MDF and IDF. The MDF and IDF are connected by fiber. Due to user expansion at this site I need to add a switch to each closet but may want to get HP switches (2650's) due to cost per port. So if I go with a new HP switch in each closet, do you see any issue with running a patch cord from a Cisco 2950 to a HP 2650 in each closet? How does spanning-tree play into the port settings on each?

There shouldn't be a problem but it may be management pain in the hiney. Without VTP you will have to manually configure the HP switches whenever you add or delete a VLAN. Or you can convert all your switches to use GVRP instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back