Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you log websites accessed by user?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicocouk

MIS
Aug 19, 2002
GB
Is there a way to get a log of what websites users have accessed through ISA server, grouped by user? So if Bob has been to Yahoo three times today, that will show, if Sue has gone to Google etc.

If this isn't possible with ISA on it's own, does anyone know a third party utility that will plug in to ISA to offer this funtionality?

Thanks!

I don't believe that ISA can do detailed reporting on it's own. We are currently looking at a product from a vendor named Webspy that appears to have detailed reporting capabilites. Their website is Dan

I'm a relative newbie (i'm overseeing the installation of a new network at work). I had the same questions as you. The company who's installing our network is recommending Webtrends for reporting. I saw a demo on Friday and it's pretty impressive but not cheap. ( I asked them to show me what the ISA log can do but it's very basic. I'm still researching other products.

Mike

We are using a product from SurfControl called SuperScout for ISA. It is a plug-in for ISA and primarily gives us URL blocking categories the reporting was secondary.

Although, to get user name's and where they are going to, you need to require authentication through ISA. Then the reports from SuperScout become meaningful (unless you want to translate IP addresses to work stations to users - not fun).

So far i've only found one free isa web log analyser, which is at

Although this does seem to have the "translate ip addresses to workstations to users" problem at least for the moment.

Go to the post by Stevehewitt on 11/01/02, there I replied back to what you are asking. We tested the products that the other people posted, but never got a chance to buy. Budget cuts, we are a state agency! If your company has the $$$ test first, then do buy one of the third party reporting software, it does better than ISA in Blocking, but maybe the same in reporting!

Also go to , this is a great web site.

I hope this helps!

Lead, Follow, or get out of the way
USAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back