Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you link tables via "autonumber" or "lookup"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neup44

Technical User
Jun 10, 2004
US
I don't know if what I am trying to do is possible. I have 4 tables:

Table 1 - Contains customer information.

Table 2 - Contains Warranty information
Warranty ticket number (autonumber)
Customer ID (lookup in table 1)

Table 3 - Contains Warranty Repair for a cetain type of repair. For example workstation repairs. Included in this table is the warranty ticket number and the various types of repairs.

Table 4 - Same as table 3 but for a different type of repair. For example notebook repairs. Included in this table is the warranty ticket number and the various types of repairs.

Form 1 - Input customer data (table 1)

Form 2 - Inputs data into tables 2 & 3.

Form 3 - Inputs data into tables 2 & 4.

In order to input data on forms 2, 3 & 4, the tables must be linked. If I link the tables via warranty ticket number (autonumber)it doesn't work. If I change the warranty ticket number from autonumber to text (table 2)and manually input the warranty ticket number, the form works. I then left the warranty ticket number autonumber and link tables 2, 3 and 4 via the customer id but it did not work either.

I would appreciate any input. Thanks.

Neup44

Hello TheAceMan1,

I know you had to spend a lot of time reviewing my BD and I do appreciate your comments. I will read over the links you suggested.

My back is against the wall with this DB and it has to work. As of right now, the system works but from reading your comments, it appears that down the road the DB could have some major problems.

I will rethink my relationships and try to redesign another DB. I will be back in touch with you soon. Again, take care and talk to you soon.

Neup44

PS - Do you know if there is a "Warranty" template?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back