Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you install XP Pro Full OEM as an upgrade???

Status
Not open for further replies.

boildkitty

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2003
US
I have tried several ways to get the full OEM version of Windows XP Professional (SP1) to install as an upgrade, but all I ever get is the 'New Installation' option!

Is there any way to make the full OEM version act as an upgrade??

Thanks!

Carl

What are you trying to upgrade? From 9x? Win2k? ME? Share some details and I'm sure you'll get a damn good answer that tells you exactly what you wanna know :)

-----
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to sit there with a dumb look on your face.
I have fun. Usualy at my own expense, but I have fun regardless

ive never had any problems installing my xp pro over win98, or win2k, dont know about other versions tho.

also keep in mind that if you upgrade from windows 98 some devices may not be compatible with windows xp

OK. I am trying to upgrade 98SE. It is an original full installation. Drive is FAT32 partitioned. All hardware is okay & current. All updates have been installed. I've tried by booting the CD, running setup from the CD and running setup via autorun command.

Still no dice.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Howdy:

An OEM full install cd is exactly that, a FULL INSTALL cd.. If you want to upgrade, you will need an upgrade cd..

Murray

If you're trying to overrite 98 and upgrade that way, I don't think it's possible. The only way to install with 98 already on the system that I've seen is to either dual boot, or erase 98 and install XP fresh. I could be mistaken though.

-----
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Annnd it apears I was mistaken. Now I know thanks to Murray.

-----

I know with Windows 98 OEM Full version, you could trick it into performing an upgrade on a previsou installation by removing the WIN.COM file, or using the /NTLDR switch (although I've not tried the latter).

Are you telling me that XP will not do this?

Murray, your response is the same line the comes from Microsoft. Is it also from personal experience & research? Just curious. I need to do a lot of PCs and it's half the cost for the full OEM version as opposed to the retail Upgrade version.

Carl

Carl:

I tried it on my own system.. won't work !!

Murray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back