Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you insert records in a database in MS access 2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

knucklehead50

Programmer
Jul 22, 2003
CA
I am currently setting up a database file in MS access 2000 to keep track of Outage Reports for a power plant. These reports are taken from a log sheet and if one is missed can I insert the missed outage without deleting all the outages that are enter after the date? Outage are entered by date.

If they are entered by date (and include the date) they can be sorted by date. What more do you want?

John

Yes they are entered by date and i have no problem sorting them for reports. My problem is that if one is not entered (overlooked) I want to insert the one that was missed so that my records are in the proper order when scrolling through them.

As long as the data is indexed and the report you use is based on a query (set to order them by ascending or descending date) then the report will show the data in order of date and not leave the newly added one at the bottom where it is in the table.
does this answer your question.

Booiinnggg ... Zebbeddee ... Booiinnggg

sorry the first 'data' in the the last post should read 'date' thankyou

No, I,m entering mt data in a form and the record selector keeps count. I want to be able to insert a new record in the form if one is overlooked so that the records will be in order for anyone clicking on the record selector. I have no problem sorting the records for reports etc.

So, just in case you are still in doubt, the short answer is No. However, if you really want this, set up a procedure that you can run when nobody else is on the system, to correct the result of any of these events, as follows:

> Copy the entire table, sorted, to a temporary table.
> Delete the contents of the original table.
> Copy the records, now in the correct order, back to the original table.

Cheers

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back