Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you help me with RAM names?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catadmin

Programmer
Oct 26, 2001
US
I have an old MOBO (American Microtrends P6SBA) with 3 RAM slots (168 pin for DIMM). The board still works, to the best of my knowledge, and I want to build a test PC with it (nothing fancy), but having never built a PC from scratch, I have NO IDEA what I should be looking for in RAM names / descriptions except that the bus is 66 Mhz (there was a comment in a .pdf I found on the board about being able to go up to 100) and that the type of RAM is 168 pin DIM modules. Does anyone know where I can find this type of RAM or what types of names / descriptions it would have on it? I didn't know, for instance, if something with the description of PC 100 in the title meant bus speed or what.

Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Also looking for a reputable place that sells inexpensive, used processors (Pentium II 233 - Pentium III, not looking for Pentium IV). Thanks!!!!

Catadmin - MCSA

good luck finding pc66 ram unless you look online. try Kingston memory or Crucial

"Did you ever wish a circle was a square, so when land sharks start circling the boarders you can just cut them off at the corners?" - Aesop Rock

On a 66MHz bus, you are going to be restricted to the original pentiums or perhaps some of the early PII's, but not both. PII's used a slot connector while the original pentiums used a socket7.

You'll want 168-pin PC66 SDRAM if you can find it. I'm sure there is still plenty of that going around on EBAY.

If not, you can also try your hand on PC100 SDRAM, which should be backwards compatible. The memory module should not have any problems running at 66MHz, but some older motherboards had a hard time picking up newer modules.

It's so cheap nowadays, that I think it would be safe either way.

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab]- A. Einstein

Looks like it only supports 66 Mhz SDRAM or EDO RAM. The RAM for this thing cost more than todays RAM. If you can find a Custom computer shop in your area they may take in old parts that they want to get rid of. They could watch for someone trading in some older computer with that kind of RAM. Worth a try. Either that or buy another old junky computer for $20.00 just for the RAM. Typically it was hard to get more the 64 Bytes of RAM on one SDRAM Module. There may be some available at a coputer reseller place or auction site on the internet.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Cdogg, the processor on the mobo is current a Pentium II 133 Mhz with a slot connector instead of a socket7 connector. The .pdf I was looking at mentioned there were Pentium II upgrades that I could go up to (don't remember the Mhz on that). But I appreciate you pointing out the difference. I had to check the PDF to verify that I could upgrade the processor like I wanted.

Everyone else, thank you very much for your comments. This is greatly helping me locate what I need. I'm going to check online at the suggested sites for parts as well as a locate computer parts store that a friend of mine just discovered (we thought all the local stores had folded). Thank you again for your advice.

Catadmin - MCSA

Not a problem. Always glad to help out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back