Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you help me with free hosting (with ASP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vladislav

Programmer
Oct 7, 2000
UA
Does anybody know where can I put my pages on server with Asp. (free server)
[sig][/sig]

um, there is only one that I know of that I heard from a friend however, it's really lame, cant do ODBC, cant do nothing, you canonly do some serverside vbscript, but nothing more, you wont find Free ASP sites easily for 2 reasons

1) Since it requires NT, which is usally always more expensive than the ususal Unix or Linux machines, and since a single machine isnt going to help host alot of people they would have to buy lisenses for every machine

2) It uses up server processor cycles, so like the reason above they would have to get more machine because too many people would overload a single machine. [sig]<p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>
[/sig]

that websamba is states
&quot;Standard ASP Scripts &quot;

which basically proves my point, you cant find a full fledge free ASP site, but heck if yer just workin with a tiny bit of server side scripting, I'd say go for it, but if you wanted to use it for some real benefits, you'd have get a paid one, the one I got is hosted by hostway.com it's 20$ a month for the NtPr plan, which is basically every NT technology you can use. [sig]<p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>
[/sig]

I'm currently hosted on . They have free general memberships, which includes ASP, SSI, and Microsoft Access Database support. For free you don't get to use Global.asa or any components, and you have to use web based file upload. But, for 10$ a month you get Global.asa, your own domain name server redirection, a 10 meg SQL Server dbase, ftp, and about 15 general purpose components for things like sending email, encryption, and file upload.

This looks like some advertising, but I have been very pleased with this company, and I'd recommend it to anyone who wants an ASP host for small projects or learning. If you're looking for something more enterprise level, I'd recommend iNNERHOST.com.

Jeremy Lowery
MCP + SB
[sig][/sig]

iNNerhost is much more expensive it seems, I use hostway.com , they offer 3 different NT accounts (mostly priced by size of webspace and transfer speed) I use the NTPro account, and I belive you can use almsot anything NT allows like your own custom controls and componets, etc. I pay just 20$ a month for that. [sig]<p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>
[/sig]

I also use brinkster (formerly ewebcity). The availability and performance have been very good. The best part is that they don't display ANY ads on your site. For free, it's an outstanding value for anybody wanting to learn ASP.

If you want to get more serious, pay the $10/month. The list of components that are available with this plan is quite extensive.

I have no affiliation with brinkster except as a satisfied customer. [sig]<p>nick bulka<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br>[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back