Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you duplicate tapes without using Vault ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

acroniscronie

IS-IT--Management
Sep 25, 2003
GB

Here's the situation I'm in.

We're using NetBackup Datacenter V4.5 FP6 running in a Windows 2000 environment. We're backing up to a HP MSL5026S2 tape library.

We run incremental backups Monday to Thursdays and a full backup from the Friday evening.

I'd like to duplicate the weekly set of tapes and leave a duplicate of them in the library. This would allow the original weekly tape to be sent off site and if I had to I could recover my most recent weekly backup without having to return the original tapes from the off-site store.

Can I do this without having to purchase Vault?

I've been looking for some command line utility that would do this. Can anyone offer any help?

Thanks in anticipation

# bpduplicate -help
bpduplicate: -npc <new primary copy> -backupid <backup id> [-client <name>]
bpduplicate: [-dstunit <destination storage unit label>]
[-p] [-pb] [-PM] [-PD] [-v] [-client <name>]
[-Bidfile <file_name>]
[-st <sched_type>] [-sl <sched_label>] [-L <output_file>]
[-dp <destination pool name>] [-shost <source host>]
[-class <name>] [-s mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss] [-e mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss]
[-ct <class_type>] [-hoursago <hours>] [-cn <copy number>]
[-M master_server] [-altreadhost <hostname>]
[-backupid <backup_id>] [-id <media_id>]
[-mpx]

Valid values for sched_type:
FULL, INCR, CINC, UBAK, UARC, NOT_ARCHIVE

Valid values for class_type:
Standard Apollo-wbak NetWare MS-Windows-NT
OS/2 MS-SQL-Server MS-Exchange-Server
DB2 AFS
#

Bob Stump
Incorrigible punster -- Do not incorrige

in administrator console,under reports,you can find to import,verify,duplicate tapes

Sorry ningbo but I've not been able to put your advice into action. I'm using NBU version 4.5 - What version does your advice relate to ?

methinks ningbo was referring to the ability to duplicate images using the GUI. Every GUI should have an area that does three commands concerning images. Verify, Import and Duplicate. In the 4.5 admin console you will find it when you click on the catalog icon. In the corresponding window that opens there is a drop-down menu titled Actions. You will find the three actions in the drop-down menu.

Bob Stump
Incorrigible punster -- Do not incorrige

My preferred way of achieving this is to have Saturday & Sunday night's backups go to separate pools (separate pools from the Monday thru Friday stuff). No scripting needed, certainly no expesive vault (yes i believe vault is simply expensive, consulted scripts). Anyway it works great for us, extremely simple to administer. On Monday we simply scan down an 'available_media' list and take out any offsiteable tapes from the separate offsite pools.

Rich

We use inline tape copy and it seems to be the way to go, as long as you have enough tape drives available. We tried it as an alternative to vault expecting backups to run longer. This is not the case. The kb per second does not decrease at all with inline tape copy. I should have prefaced this by saying we use LTO2 fiber drives which can handle almost more data than you can push to them. You might consider trying it on a policy to see if this works for your environment. Set your copy2 to another pool and eject only from that pool.

Just one note, I would send the copy offsite because when you do restores it will expect to use the primary copy. It's just easier if that set is online rather than the copies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back