Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you do this with access 2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vince99

IS-IT--Management
Mar 1, 2001
US
Is there a way of adding a drop don box to a query in order to select criteria?

Thanks

Sorry, no Vince, there isn't that I have ever found. You could however build a form based on the query, Add a combo box there with a default value, and use it to modify your criteria with a simple line in its "after update" event in VB:

Me.Requery :) Gord
ghubbell@total.net

Yes, there is a way and I do it frequently. You have to modify the properties of the drop down list. Here is an example of a subroutine where the user has to pick two colors for an item. It is executed on activation of the color selection form: (the commented code is for my own debugging and use). Stmt (0) is the finished selection string. Te other STMT variables I use to build the parts of the string. When I coded the program, the first thing I did was copy the select statment from the properties box so that it would be correct.

Private Sub setup_SO_color_selection()
' --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
' This rountine sets up the select statment for the colors to restrict to the manufactuere on the screen
' --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dim stmt(5) As String
Dim q As String
Dim i As Integer
q = "'"

stmt(1) = "SELECT [MR Finishes Query3].[ID], [MR Finishes Query3].[Manufacturer], [MR Finishes Query3].[Group], [MR Finishes Query3].[Grade], [MR Finishes Query3].[Color], [MR Finishes Query3].[Description] FROM [MR Finishes Query3]"
stmt(2) = " where [MR Finishes Query3].[Manufacturer] = " + q + Me.Manufacturer + q
stmt(3) = " And [MR Finishes Query3].[Group]= " + q + Me.Finish_Group_1 + q
stmt(4) = " And ([MR Finishes Query3].[Grade] = " + q + Me.Grade_Level + q
stmt(5) = " OR [MR Finishes Query3].[Grade] = '*')"
stmt(0) = stmt(1) + stmt(2) + stmt(3) + stmt(4) + stmt(5)

' i = MsgBox(stmt(0), vbInformation, "debug")
[SO Pick Color 1].RowSource = stmt(0)

' Setting stmts 0, 2 and 4 are redundant as they do not change
' stmt(1) = "SELECT [MR Finishes Query3].[ID], [MR Finishes Query3].[Manufacturer], [MR Finishes Query3].[Group], [MR Finishes Query3].[Grade], [MR Finishes Query3].[Color], [MR Finishes Query3].[Description] FROM [MR Finishes Query3]"
' stmt(2) = " where [MR Finishes Query3].[Manufacturer] = " + q + Me.Manufacturer + q
stmt(3) = " And [MR Finishes Query3].[Group]= " + q + Me.Finish_Group_2 + q
' stmt(4) = " And [MR Finishes Query3].[Grade] = " + q + Me.Grade_Level + q
' stmt(5) = " OR [MR Finishes Query3].[Grade] = '*')"
stmt(0) = stmt(1) + stmt(2) + stmt(3) + stmt(4) + stmt(5)
[SO Pick Color 2].RowSource = stmt(0)

End Sub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back