Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you Deny Access to Document Libraries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 19, 2003
US
Here's the scenario. I have a top-level web site, Site A. Under manage users, we have given 3 AD groups (global security, not mail enabled)reader rights to the main site so they can view events, announcements, etc. However, we have created 3 document libraries, and we only want the AD group which is given permissions able to view the contents of that library. The problem is, everyone who has reader access to Site A, can view everything in all of the libraries. So far, the only way we can work around this is to not give access to Site A at all, and only permission the libraries. This option is not very good though, because you have to manage all your URL's to each library you are permissioned, when it'd be easier to see them in the quick launch and just click what you have access to. Does anyone know a work around for this, or how to actually deny access? Any help would be appreciated

This article seems like a complex way to go to the Doc Library, modify columns and settings and change permissions for this document library. The problem is that I want all members of the 2 AD groups to be able to hit the top-level site, but be able to restict access to the libraries.

Doc Library 1 - only AD group 1 be able to see

Doc Library 2 - only AD group 2 be able to see

etc...

I want to add AD groups 1 & 2 to the top level site permissions as readers, but I don't want AD group 1 to have access to Doc Library 2 at all. The only thing I'm able to do it elevate the permissions that are set at the top level, but not reduce them. Hope this clarifies a little

You're asking for a way to limit access to document libraries, and the article describes that. If you want to limit access to areas, then it's more straightforward and not hidden from view, just in the properties for that area. Restricting permissions at the document library level does not change area (top level) permissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back