Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you create VPN on Windows XP network with no extra cost??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoea2006

MIS
Jul 4, 2006
ES
Hi,

I have been asked to help a friend to setup a VPN at his business, he has loads of money but doesn't want to spend any!! which is probably why he has so much...
Anyway, to the point...
He has six separate offices with Windows XP networks in each of them. Each of them has an ADSL with Static IP address. I have files on one PC which I need to be able to access from all of them.
I have been able to connect to the PC in question, but have not found how, if it is possible to access the files.

I would be grateful for any tips you can give me.

Thanks

Zoe

Yes you can. But it will require setting up port forwardings in the routers, and good knowledge op IPSec tunneling.

In the microsoft knowledge base, search for IPSec policy tunneling and you'll find a document that explains how you can create IPSec VPN tunnels between Windows servers. Without extra cost.

As stated by pmf71, yes you can... Of course several factors come to mind that were not addressed in your post. Are all of these machines/offices running XP Pro and is there an account/login created that has rights to those files?

Hi Zoe, not sure if you're still looking for info on this but I was also working on a similar project and found some interesting info at -

(WindowsXP VPN Client) and also (WindowsXP VPN Server)

To be honest, I didn't get it to work and as I was only playing about with it, wasn't too annoyed but it may be of help to you or someone else visiting this forum

Stephen

I've actually looked at openvpn and installed it a few weeks ago. Unfortunately it doesn't run on 64-bit XP and it actually crashed my system. It took me a while to uninstall the adapter but other than that, I think it would be a good alternative

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back