Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you create an attribute based on a DECODE or CASE statement??

Status
Not open for further replies.

zxzzzzzz

Programmer
Jul 10, 2002
US
I have six single attributes which I want to throw into a separate attribute. My SQL statement is something like: IF attrib1='T' OR attrib2='T' OR attrib3='T' OR attrib4='T' OR attrib5='T' OR attrib6='T' THEN 'T' ELSE 'F'. I'm not sure how to approach this one. Suggestions???

Thanks!

you can use thresholds, and use a filter with the six conditions...

There is a tech note on the Microstrategy support site that looks like it might help you do what you want. It's TN4100-071-0122, take a look.

Thanks! Of my attributes called style_id1, style_id2, style_id3, style_id4, style_id5, and style_id6 only one of them may have the value of '352' that I'm looking for OR none of them will have this value. In the CASE statement using all six conditions, will it look at all six needing to have the value of '352' to return 'T' or just one of them? ((can it use an "OR" between the conditions??)) The ApplySimple statements are completely a mystery to me since I only know SQL and PL/SQL coding.

Hope this doesn't confuse you more!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back