Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you count shaded cells? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wec43wec

Technical User
Aug 6, 2005
US

Are you able to create a formula that would count the number of cells within a row or columns that are shaded?

I have a data base that I have shaded cells that meet a certain criteria.

Example:
A1 thru A10 contains data, however all even number rows are shaded red. I need to put a formula that will give me 5 as a result.

Whatever logic you are using to determine which cells are shaded, use that logic in a formula.

Are you using Conditional Formatting to shade the cells? If not, I'd suggest you do.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

Hi,

Building on what John has stated so well...

"A1 thru A10 contains data, however all even number rows are shaded red. I need to put a formula that will give me 5 as a result."
[tt]
Odd row count: =INT((COUNTA(A:A)+1)/2)
Even row count: =INT(COUNTA(A:A)/2)
[/tt]
assuming that a value is in column A for every shaded row.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] To be safe on the [red]FOURTH[/red],
Don't take a [red]FIFTH[/red] on the [red]THIRD[/red]
Or you might not come [red]FORTH[/red] on the [red]FIFTH[/red]
[red][highlight blue]FORTH[/highlight][/red][white][highlight red]WITH[/highlight][/white] [tongue][/sub]

It appears that I may have mislead your way of thinking in you giving me a suggestion to may problem.

The cells shaded between A1:A10 (even) rows was just an example. The rows are "not" shaded even/odd cells, rather they are shaded by the user without using the conditional formatting function.

In rows A1:A10, the user will mannually color cells based on certain conditions.

Example: Within the 10 cells (A1:A10) a value is only entered for any one of the 10 companies that has an active record. Afterwards the user will shade the cell if a notice has also been revceived from the company that has the active data.

Because of the second step, I do not see how I can use the conditional formatting with the two sets of data that I am collecting.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Add a column where the user adds an X or checks a checkbox if the notice has been sent. Then you CAN use conditional formatting.

You can count shaded cells, but it would require VBA. But rather than go that route, I'd strongly urge you to just set up a good worksheet that will allow you to easily accomplish your goals.

Setting up the worksheet properly in the first place has several advantages. It will be easier to report on, the file size will be smaller and, if it grows big enough, it will run faster.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

Thanks ! I will use your suggestion.

Hasit - Great lnk !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back