Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you clean install from product upgrade CD ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

lfoldesi

MIS
May 25, 2000
US
Can you perform a clean install of windows 2000 from the Windows 2000 upgrade product CD the same as you can with W95 and W98???<br><br>Thanks<br>Lfoldesi

Absolutely!<br>Obviously, if you want to do a clean install, you MUST wipe the HD BEFORE you start wk2 install, or else it won't ask for the older windows disk, and won't allow you to format your HD in the beginning of setup.<br><br>Just like W9x, right after you start the install, it will ask you for a win9x or nt disk, then it acts just like the full version cd.<br><br>good luck! <p> <br><a href=mailto: anongod@hotmail.com> anongod@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>"Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.

MS KB Q250456 has some info on how you can format your harddrive from the setup menu of Win2k - it is buried in there with how to reinstall 98 and other stuff. <p>Malcolm Wynden<br><a href=mailto:wynden@island.dot.net>wynden@island.dot.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Sure use the format command from DOS<br>works everytime ;)<br><br>llamalord

Why not deltree windows from the c: drive if you have important files you want to save, but you will have to reinstall the Icons to access these programs, and I don't know how to file to set up the shortcut to create an Icon for each program.

I have another problem, I see advertised on price watch a price range of $ 106 up for a w2k upgrade and some indicates that the upgrade will upgrade w95, or w98, but I see some advertisements indicating that the upgrade is for w98. Is there two upgrades for w2k like there is for w-me?

leart3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back