Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can XP machine log onto VisionFS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nashcom

MIS
Apr 12, 2002
GB
I set up VisionFS 3.00.921 on a SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 a number of years ago. The client PCs were all Windows 98, and I remember having to set encrypted passwords Off.

I need to add a Windows XP Pro machine to the network, and am not sure if it's possible. When I try to join the domain it says "A domain controller for the domain SCODOMAIN could not be contacted ...etc".

I'm going to try setting encrypted passwords Off on the XP machine, but I have doubts as to whether VisionFS will be seen as a Primary Domain Controller by the XP machine.

Does anyone have XP working okay with VisionFS?

I know Samba would do the job, but I'd prefer an 'easy' way to introduce XP to the 'domain'!

David

nashcom -

I would recommend getting the 3.1 version and set it up to use encrypted passwords (Windows passwords). I don't think it will complain about domain controllers using that authentication method.

The README file also documents using plain text passwords and adding a registry key to the Windows box but XP is never mentioned.

I think you can get the update at Caldera's website.

Lastly, I hope you're not planning to print from Unix to a printer on any XP machines. I think MS has finally managed to break that functionalty.

Good luck!

nashcom -

I left out a bit of important information. You will need a '98 or NT box with the plain password setup to get to the profile editor to set up the users and passwords.

You need to initailly set up vision to use plain text passwords, use the profile editor to set up the users, then use setup again to change the authentication.

The plain text password info is the the README.vfs file in the docs directory.

I use 3.1 VisionFS with XP, but I have it autheticating against a Win2K domain controller. It will NOT work on a Win2K3 DC, but it works very well on the Win2K. I do not use 98 or 95 so I don't know how they will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back