Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can word do master documents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookouri

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2000
US
In Word Perfect we could create a master document, for example, you could have 24 chapters in a book. You could create a master document with links to the 24 individual documents. You then continued to work on the individual chapters and when you were ready to print, you generated the "master" document which sucked in the chapters and made it into one big document.

Can something like this be done with Word97? or Word2000?

thanks

Yes, you can certainly do something like it. It's even called "Master Documents". The topic is a bit large to dicuss in a forum, though. Hunt the Help files, peak into a reference book in a library or bookstore ...
(I briefly interrupted writing this to check the Microsoft Office site, but in the article "Manage and collaborate on complex Word 2000 documents" it doesn't say much more than that.)

IS

It certainly does. Under View, choose Document Map. And the rest is easy.

Mary A. Lindsey (MOUS 2000 Master)

Thanks, Ill take a look. I checked the word help files and couldnt find anything on the topic. I guess MS uses some different terminology. Ill check the document map feature... The only thing I found close was some convoluted description of creating a document outline and marking headers and about a dozen different steps that looked like they would take longer than just inserting the documents again every time they are changed... I also found some references to linking documents and embedding but I dont know if that will work any better.

Check out the FAQ section of this forum, "Rules for Master / Sub documents or something like that. Dreamboat writes good stuff about Word. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back