Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can windows xp temporary subdirectories files be deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffaucher

IS-IT--Management
Jul 31, 2000
CA
I have on my disk C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Local Settings\Temp\
It contains subdirectories themselves filled with files. Can everything (including the subdirectories) be safely deleted for a good cleaning?

If Windows, or any program for that matter, is still using any files in your Temp files it will give you a warning message. You should be safe to just delete them.

You can always back the files up to CD if you like. Programs like Disk Cleanup, for safety reasons, don't delete anything unless it is at least a week old.

Unless a process has a file in the Temp folder open it's safe to delete anything in there.

In fact, it can be a good idea security-wise to empty the Temp folder regularly.

I use a utility called TempCleaner to empty my temp directory on bootup - you'll find it here

Anyone know what the function of these sub folders in the 'Windows' folder is and why they show up with Blue text.
I think they startetd to be present after we upgraded to SP2 and have names like.
$NtUninstallKB8733333$ but with different numbers and each contains a folder named spuninst and well as other stuff.
I am sure there are more and more of them current count is 45.

Steve: Delphi a feersum engin indeed.

oops that should have been in a new thread please ignore it in this one.

Steve: Delphi a feersum engin indeed.

In that temp folder, one can find several dll files: I am scare to touch that. I don't understand why Windows put these files in that place. Anyway, I will save everything before on a CD and delete the temp. Can one see on the next rebooting if the system has not been harmed?

The only time I have seen DLL files in the TEMP folder is when the machine was infected with Spyware!

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back