Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Windows XP Home computers detect SQL Servers???

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabiS2K

Programmer
May 22, 2002
US
I have a Windows XP Home computer that cannot "see" network or even local instances of SQL Server 2000 or MSDE 2000. I have this problem with and without SP1 and SP2. However, it did not bother me until an app I wrote was unable to find the server(s) when a client used it on his XP Home laptop (1.6 Pentium M with Centrino). The app uses SQLDMO.

I did also notice the clients XP Home machine would not detect the servers through ODBC. I understand that Microsoft has confessed to the lack of reliability in both SQLDMO and ODBC's ability to detect servers, but I have yet to find any XP Home machine that detects an instance of SQL Server anywhere. The odd thing is I have never had this problem on any other operating system, including XP Pro.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Any help is much appreciated... [thumbsup2]

Right now I have a home network where I use
XP Home and network it to a machine with
Win2000 Server with SQL Server installed on it.
I map to a shared folder. I also use it to run
ASP.NET applications. XP Home is not made for
networking and you are better off using Win2000 or
XP Pro.

I have a similar issue in as much as I am able to get a list of servers when I am connected to the network in the office.
When I run the same code (which makes use of 'netapi32.dll' - some code adopted off the 'net) on my laptop at home (running Windows XP Pro) it picks up none - albeit that I have a local one running.
I'm not sure if this is exactly the same issue you're seeing but it's always left me wondering .....
Steve

Thanks for the replies... [thumbsup]

I am aware that Windows XP Home is not intended for a domain-oriented network, but I have not found any Microsoft (or third-party for that matter) documentation to suggest that MSDE or SQL Server 2000 should have a problem detecting servers in XP Home. Obviously, I do not have this problem with my peronsal Win XP Pro notebook, or the desktops at work, running NT 4, Win 2000, Win XP Pro.

I have used the Client Network Utility (GUI packaged with SQL Server 2000 Developer, Personal, Standard, and Enterprise) to add entries for each SQL Server with XP Home. This step does result in server recognition. Also, these entries in the Client Network Utility teamed with corresponding Hosts file entries dramatically increase server response time [pc3] (I would recommend this procedure to everyone).

Here's the problem, the Client Network Utility is not packaged with MSDE 2000. I am wanting to know if there is an alternative to automatically detect these servers, if not, I have a set of work arounds which do not involve auto-detection [neutral]. In my experience, not even the ODBC Connection Wizard on Windows XP Home can even find the SQL Servers without manually entering the server name, causing a problem for ignorant users.

What method are you using to 'detect' SQL Server instances? Are you searching for the use of TCP Port 1433? If so, most firewalls now block that port. (for example, XP SP2 automatically blocks that port). So, that might be the issue.

-SQLBill

I am using SQLDMO. Not NetApi or searching for the specific TCP/IP port, since as you mentioned Firewalls block it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back