Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Windows XP be rescued?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jen123

Technical User
Mar 9, 2001
GB
Hi,

I'm having a look at a Mesh PC that has been completely screwed by XP service pack 2. It just about boots up but explorer, installer, restore, nothing is working. Before I re-build it, does anyone have any ideas on how to repair Windows XP. This area is not my strong point, so forgive me if I'm a little vague!

Thanks for this but have already exausted all of the options on this page. The NTUninstall hangs and the system restore errors.

What happens if you do, as outlined in the second half of the article, Recovery Console to do the SP2 removal?

I really strongly do not recommend a repair reinstallation of XP using a version of XP that is pre-SP2 on top of an SP2 installation, unless SP2 is removed.

In most cases XP will refuse the upgrade process at its start, citing that a newer version of XP is already installed.

You can force this, at your misery and peril.

Remove SP2. If Add/Remove programs brings no joy using Safe Mode, use Recovery Console.

Why is SP2 causing so many problems, were there any problems during its install?

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking; or run ChkDsk /r from the Recovery Console.

Use this next article to locate your SP2 logs and see if you can pinpoint any problems.

875355 - How to use the Automatic Recovery feature to recover your computer if the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Setup program is not completed successfully

SP2 - Microsoft Support is Free for SP2 Issues
thread779-923312

If you wish to repair your SP2 Windows installation create a slipstream SP2 version from your original XP CD and use the created CD to attempt the repair of Windows.

Slipstream Service Packs
thread779-900263

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Thanks for all of your advise, I'll have a go later on and keep you posted. Incidentally, there were zero problem during the install itself, however, once installed the pc would keep rebooting itself, this I fixed, using a download form Mesh's website. Chkdisk is one of the many things not working!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back