Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Window 2K talk to Mac machine ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgewong237

IS-IT--Management
Feb 24, 2004
HK
Dear all :
I want to use my Win2k's tape drive (under Veritas 9.1) to backup Mac machine's data, but I can found only 1 Mac machine on my network and whereas I have totally 3 Mac machines at all. I have setup the TCP/IP under these 3 Mac machine and the one that I found can't login even I have typed with the correct password. Please advise what I can do next.

BRs
George

If the mac is running OSX you get all you need. A stripped down samba server and a samba client. Just press the apple-k key and enter the url smb://server/share. However on default it's using port 139, which might be desabled on windows 2k/xp hosts when using AD and direct hosting (tcp port 445).

Hope this helps, netwho

PS: Make sure windows sharing is enabled in the OSX control pannel and the firewall doesn't block

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back