Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can we limit bandwidth per port on 2924XL

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohrahul

ISP
Jan 24, 2002
IN
Hi all

We have a 2924XL switch and wish to allocate bandwidth on each port.Is it possible to controll the bandwidth on each port ? Pls help if it is possible...

Thanx
ohrahul

No sorry, it is not possible to do so.
shnypr-small.gif

You can create a VLAN for each switchport and have a router drop packets per VLAN over a bandwidth threshold. ----------------------------------------
Wassabi Pop Tarts! Write Kellogs today!

Thanx jgerken..

Can u please explain me in little detail how to do that.I will be greatful for that.

Thanx in advance
ohrahul.

Get a 2600 series router.
Create a subinterface for each vlan

Create vlans on switch, use switchport static to assign them to a vlan.

Configure max bandwidth using:

rate-limit output access-group <#> <limit in bps> <normal burst in bps> <max burst in bps> exceed-action drop

----------------------------------------
Wassabi Pop Tarts! Write Kellogs today!

Thanks jgercken

I will try that..

Regards
ohrahul

Performance will be very crappy when doing this. A 2600 cannot process packets quick enough to get any resonable throughput.

buy a foundry switch, that does the trick, or one of the &quot;new&quot; cisco layer3( 2948g-L3) switches. Costs a bit more though

Cisco just came out with the 3550xl switch and are dropping their 3548 and 2948xl switches at the end of this month. The new 2950xl and 3550xl switches ALL have layer 3 capabilities.

cisco.com/go/3550
shnypr-small.gif

But watch you dont try to use a 2950 which only runs the standard software
image. The fixed config 2950 (with just 24 10/100 ports) wont run the
enhanced software image. Rate-limiting wont work on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back