Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Voicemail Pro run VMWare

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmerck

Technical User
Feb 12, 2002
US
Can anyone provide feedback on running or attempting to run virtualization?

I have a customer running it on a couple of sites. the only thing he said was bad was the USB key. we are in the process of putting him on serial keys.

Kevin Wing
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

But it is not supported....

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

kwing112000,

Can you put me in touch with that customer. I would like to see what they ran into doing this.

I can try to. I have a call with him on tuesday next week. are there specific things you are looking for??

Kevin Wing
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

Matt,
I know its not supported but i did hear it may be soon. THis is a new customer to us and he did this before he came to us. he has supported his sites on his own for a while and done pretty well.

Kevin Wing
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

Kevin,

I guessed you'd be aware of that, but not everyone is! Like many, I have grave reservations about recommending unsupported configurations, whether or not they work. Of course, having pointed that out to customers, some choose to continue down that path.
<yoda>
mmm to the dark side went they
</yoda>

I have a couple of customers running their VM (lite mostly) on a VMware platform. AFAICR, the problems that they have are due to inadequate HW on the virtualisation server.

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

We very sussefully run VMPro on VMwares virtulisation platform. We are virtualisation specialits If any one wants to discuss give me a call.

I've been running 2 copies of VMPro on virtual boxes for nearly 3 years! No problems

anyone running VM Pro on MS Virtual Server or on HyperV?

Isaac Braca
CTO / ICCS & Co., LLC.

ICCS, Your Premier IT Partner, is a NYC Based Avaya Business Partner and IT Consulting Firm.

2 years, 7 sites.... NO issues. :) Depending on the version (the freebie one made to run within Windows), USB not an issue.... The Windows one allows mapping of USB devices to a VM (virtual machine, not Voicemail). :)

However, ever since serial dongles came out I recommend them. Less change for failure/issues....

Kris

can you tell us more about the hardware specs you have set for these sites

Isaac Braca
CTO / ICCS & Co., LLC.
Avaya ACA - IP Office

ICCS, Your Premier IT Partner, is a NYC Based Avaya Business Partner and IT Consulting Firm.

You may laugh - but VMPro 2.2 is running under Windows 2000 in an NT4 VMware emulation on 550MHz Dual processor Dell with 512MB RAm allocated, and all off one CPU allocated to VMWare. Cheap as chips - but works a treat.

The base spec for VMPro is still a 166MHz PC!

Just upgrading to IPO 500 system and changeing to a 2GHz Dell running XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back