Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Users Modify Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxAl

MIS
Nov 27, 2000
GB
I have a number of pre-defined reports which are included within an APP which in turn are shipped in an Executable to the end users.

They would like ability to modify and save changes to these reports. Is this possible by still keeping the report self contained within the APP? If not, what are my options?

I don't want to load copies of Development Foxpro at these sites such that they can use the Reporter Tool external to the application.

Any info is most welcome.....

Normally, this is handled by copying the report out of the .APP/.EXE and then allow the user to modify this external report. Then all you need to do is develop a report manager that allows the user to save and use these reports. Note: To explicitly answer your question - NO, you can not modify a report contained in the application.

Rick

As Rick says above, No you cannot modify a report contained within and executable application.

However there are some options available to you:
1. Ship the product with one of the "generic" report writers
like Sage, FireFox, Crystal Reports, etc. Some of these
are notably better than others.

The downside is that most users need to be pretty familiar
with the data tables and their contents so as to knowingly
bring together the correct information that will be
combined to meet their needs.

2. Another approach is to make your reports in such a manner
as to have a variety of user supplied parameters which
will then provide relatively widely ranging report data.
To do this you need to create a Report Parameter screen
which will allow the user to provide the input. Then the
program following the screen will utilize this input.

3. When you build your application within the Project file,
mark your Reports as Excluded. Then deliver the reports
along with your application as additional files. If they
are in the Default directory then your app. will find
them fine.
This part is most "dangerous" -- if your users have
Foxpro and know how to use it, they can modify the Report
Form as necessary. However this, by itself, will not
change the data that is presented to the Form to run.

4. Let them hire you to make changes/customizations for them
and to deliver the results back to them.

Good Luck,

JRB-Bldr
VisionQuest Consulting
Business Analyst & CIO Consulting Services
CIOServices@yahoo.com

Rick, jrbbldr,

Thanks for confirming what I suspected was true about not being able to modify reports self contained within the APP/EXE.

I will need to evaluate the 3rd party products mentioned and mark the reports as external to the application. I further take the point re the dangerous element in this approach.

However, all decisions are based on personal judgement and the balance between user power/flexibility in modifying reports versus ability the charge/hire for such fixes is the real crux of the matter.

I would like to close thread, award you both max points and thank you for your info - how do I do this?

Regards
AliFox

Let me clarify one item:

"I will need to evaluate the 3rd party products mentioned and mark the reports as external to the application"

If you use a 3rd party report product, you do not need to Exclude the reports.

A 3rd party report designer/writer will enable the user to create their own reports, not to modify your existing ones (unless you created them with the 3rd party tool).

FYI: This forum is not like some others in that postings are not Closed and there are no points to award. Postings remain chronologically listed so that others might look them up and, hopefully, benefit from them when needed.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr
VisionQuest Consulting
Business Analyst & CIO Consulting Services
CIOServices@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back