Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Two different networks exist on 1 router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForumKid

MIS
Dec 21, 2001
US
I am by no means a cisco guy, but this is what I am trying to accomplish.

Currently my cisco router is 65.197.x.x
Behind my internet router is a cisco pix. My pix is also on the 65.197.x.x network.

My question is this. I have gotten an additional block of IP Addresses that I needed. The ip is 65.212.x.x. Will the router forward that address to my pix as well? I can see outside users hitting the acl thats permitting it, but the traffic never hits my pix.

Just need to know if this is possible or not.

Thanks

Sure. Just put a route statement for the new network and use the Interface rather than an Ip address. If you don't like that, add one of the IP addresses as a secondary to the ethernet interface and use it as the default gateway for your PIX. The PIX doesn't need the second scenario to work though.

It is what it is!!

You can use the new IP addresses on the PIX. The PIX will proxy arp for them, all you need to do is add the following route on the Internet router:

ip route 65.212.x.x. 255.255.x.x <pix-ip-address>

great. I will try this. <pix_ip_address> would be the ip address of my pix outside interface?

Thanks so much again.

Got it! I used the outside interface address.

Works like a charm!!

Thanks again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back