Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Tomcat4 run on Windows XP ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

JavaJim

Programmer
Mar 20, 2001
US
I have not been able to get Tomcat configured correctly for a PC using Windows XP. The Tomcat version is 4.1.18-LE, and the JDK is version j2sdk1.4.1_01.

I've set the JAVA_HOME, CATALINA_HOME, and CLASSPATH variables, made sure there is no proxy for Internet Explorer, and tried all the tips/hints I could find for configuring Tomcat. When tring to connect to I get the error msg Website not responding.

Following the same steps for a PC using Windows 2000, everything worked fine...

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Hi.

For your information: I have Tomcat 4.1.18 (the full version) running as a service on XP professional without any problems. Some data:

Tomcat version: 4.1.18 (The full version exe install)
Java sdk: j2sdk-1_4_0_01
XP: Both SP1 and pre SP1 worked fine
Apache version: 2.0.43
Connector: I've had both JK and JK2 running

I installed tomcat in c:/tomcat to avoid path names with spaces in it. Apart from the CATALINA_HOME path, I can't remember any special configuration settings.

I just installed it using the howto at
It didn't work for me until I realized that when setting the environment variables in XP I typed in the word Set before the variable name so that CATALINA_HOME was
SET CATALINA_HOME...not exactly the variable name I wanted!

Now I'm running.

Good Luck!

I have a tomcat 4.1.12 running fine as service on an XP pro machine. Did you check in your %tomcatHome%\conf\server.xml that the value in XML tag "Server/Service/connector/port" corresponds to the port you try to connect in url (8080) ? Water is not bad as long as it stays out human body ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back