Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can this help the quality of the capture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Jul 1, 2003
US
I was wondering if there is some kind of card or something that allows you to capture your video at a better quality.

Does anybody konw of anything?

I'm willing to spend a little...

What is your current setup? Do you have a video capture card at all?

I use an ATI All-in-Wonder and I have a great time. I'm not capturing for HDTV resolution, but for most everything I do, it's just fine.

I guess this depends on what you want to do with it. Most capture cards out there are gonna cover a lot of what you want (640 x 480 at 30 fps). You want to capture film-resolution, better get ready to mortgage your house.

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

Ed, currently, I dont have a video card other than the one that came with my pc. Its a Dell 2.2 ghz, 256 ram, and 80 gig hd.

Do you get at least tv quality with your captures? And does your video card help in that area? The problem I'm having is my picture seems kinda pixelized. Especially when viewed in something like Windows Media Player or Real Player. Almost like you can tell its digitalized. I dont know what resolution my Mini DV (samsung scd-27) takes video at, but it seems it would look a little better than this.

Without knowing what kind of 'card' you have we can only speculate that your card, in combination with whatever program being used to capture is causing the pixelation problems or bad quality.

And what of your sources? how is it being captured by the card ?( SVHS? Component? Composite? DV? ) . Without these specifics we can't really help you in making hte best captures with what you are working with.

Sorry wyziwig, Im a beginner and I know nothing about what you need to know in order to help me.

Hope this helps...
I have a Samsung mini DV and I am capturing the video via firewire to my pc using Premiere. Since my pc didnt come with a firewire port, I had to buy a firewire card, and I have been using that. Since I'm using the video card that came with my Dell, I doubt its that great of quality.

I guess what I want to know is if a good video card, such as Eds ATI, means better quality as opposed to capturing video with an average card.

When capturing via DV input, you are simply saving the data streams from your camcorder directly to your disk. There isn't really such a thing as a "quality" issue when using DV input...unless your PC can't keep up with the incoming data and starts missing frames.

But, that wouldn't cause the problem you're seeing. I'm *guessing* that you have successfully captured your video to disk, have done some basic editing in Premiere, and have also exported that video to a new file. I'm also guessing that you have used either Windows Media, Real Video, or some funky AVI compression, or have chosen a new output resolution (width/height) for your video file.

Don't do that.

Just let Premiere write an NTSC/DV file and you'll get your video at its original resolution (720x480 for NTSC video). You should be quite pleased with the results, though it's not exactly going to stream over the Internet :)

Oh, and my video card isn't that good! [lol]

I don't have a digital video camera, so I needed a NTSC capture card. I picked up a pretty cheap one.

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

I have two videos that look the same. I captured one using Premiere at NTSC settings, and the other I used Windows Movie Maker set at the 720 x 480.

But anyways, I dont understand two things.

1. When I am panning around from one point to another when I filmed my movie, it gets extremely blurry.

2. From what I understand, Television is only 400 x 300 resolution (or close to it). It seems to me then that 720 x 480 would look a heck of alot better. But then again, I'm viewing it on a 1024 x 720 pc monitor. Will it look better when I view it on a regular tv?

Thanks

Television has a limited resolution. No matter how fine a picture you send at it, it'll get granularized to fit the TV screen.

The best way to answer this is to get a TV or NTSC monitor and have it next to your computer. Arrange for a TV out card and that way you'll know what it's going to look like.

This has caused and saved me lots of headaches.

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

My video is always blurry when I render and preview in Premiere. However, when I'm done and I Print to Tape and record to my VCR I don't have that problem. What format are you producing when you are done?

-Volkoff007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back