Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can this be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMarshall

Technical User
May 25, 2001
GB
I'd like to know if I'm going about doing this in the right way.

Basically I have an xml document I want to post to the internet, capture and submit to a database.

I have an xml document in simple flat format, eg:

<Jobs>
<Job>
<DeliveryDate>01/10/01</DeliveryDate>
<DeliveryTime>18:00</DeliveryTime>
<DeliveryAddress>London</DeliveryAddress>
<CollectionDate>29/09/01</CollectionDate>
<CollectionTime>17:00</CollectionTime>
<CollectionAddress>Newcastle</CollectionAddress>
</Job>
<Job>
<DeliveryDate>01/10/01</DeliveryDate>
AND SO ON.......
</Job>
</Jobs>

I can post it to the internet and populate a dynamic asp form with the contents of the xml document. The form is validated with a dtd to check for validity. If I add more jobs to the xml document the form adds more fields to take up the extra info, although all of the fields in the form are named the same, Ie if there are two 'Jobs' in the document I have two DeliveryAddress fields, tow DeliveryTime fields, etc.

Here is where I get stuck. I know I can't submit all of the info to the data base at once, I'd have to post the first job then loop back around and post the second job.

How on earth do you go about doing this?

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful.

Regards,
Kevin Marshall.

I want to submit this info to a database

KMarshall,

Yes you can have a second listing of <jobs> but you would then need to transform it with <jobs id=1> and <jobs id=2>
then use XLST tags of choice and template and apply-template.
Possible a xpath or xlink for the various actual pages for each details information of data that you might would like to show and collect.
hope this helps
aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back