Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can the Terminal Services be run on an NT 4 server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgadams

IS-IT--Management
May 9, 2002
US
I need a way to install Terminal Services on an NT 4 BDC. Does anyone know if it's possible and if so, where can I find the software? Any help would be apprciated.

Yes, but you need a Windows NT4 Advanced Server installation. Terminal Services comes with NT4 Advanced Server and Datacentre Server only. [auto] MCSE NT4/W2K

No, you need Windows NT4 Terminal Server Edition - there is no Advanced or Datacentre NT4

:) CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Thanx Citrix....I'll just stick with PC Anywhere for a few more weeks until I decomission the server....No point in upgrading.

Hi
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to add another harddisk(Scsi) to an existing raid5 set on an NT Server and have the space shared amoung the existing volumes(three) .If possible can you please tell me what I have to do.

Thanks

Hi,

I need to implement Citrix in my office because we are starting another office in a nearby location, and we need to access servers (Notes and Scala) from the current office.Notes will work over a WAN connection but Scala will not.We decided to implement Citrix terminal service to get over the problem.There are some things that I need to know.Does the Citrix Server application have to be on the same Machine as the application we wish to deploy.

Thanks

ssosw

ssosw

Your application does not need to be on the Citrix Server you just need an icon with the shortcut, if your application will allow this. When you run the application it will execute from the Citrix server just as if it was a workstation running the software off of a server. If your application requires registry settings then you will need to install it. Don't forget that a drive mapping may also be required since a lot of older programs cannot use UNC path names.

JG

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.What you are saying is that I can get a new server, install citrix in it , and all I need is to have a single client for the application I want to deploy on the new server, and citrix clients on any all the PCs that need to access the application?

Another thing,my network is an NT4 network.The new Server will probably be a Win 2000 server.What is the Citrix product that I need to use.

Thanks

ssosw

Try forum48

To help answer your questions, Citrix MetaFrame is the product you need, and, as it is an extension of Terminal Services it must be installed on the server that is running the application, if you are going to run it as a published application. Citrix works best this way, although you could map apps on other servers if you had to. You can easily install a client to a database type app on a Citrix server that connects to a remote database server - Citrix works well with this kind of app.

There are 3 flavours, XPs, XPa and XPe. All 3 can publish applications, the main differences are that XPa allows "Load Management" - a way of distributing the load on all the servers and, coincidentally, a way of providing "High Availability" (NOT fault tolerance) to all published apps in that if a server goes down, the users can simply reconnect to the same app on a different server by clicking the same icon.

XPe has Resource Manager - an enhanced Perfmon with current and historical reporting and billing facilities, and Installation Manager - a method of deploying applications in a similar way that RIS deploys Windows 2000 Pro. Great if you've got 10+ servers and don't want simple clones.

XPs is the basic product, and doesn't have any of those features.

You can access a Citrix server from practically anything that has a keyboard and a network connection. That is one of its major advantages over Terminal Services.

For more info on Citrix products, please post in the Citrix solutions forum forum48

Hope this helps CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

globalstrata : I can't find the terminal services for NT with the URL you gave ? Do you have another url ?

The URL that I provide you was only to use it as reference. However, the Terminal Server 4.0 software cost money. However, Microsoft does not longer sells the software. What they ask people to do is to buy the Windows 2000 Server license which is $730 and the Terminal Services CALS cost $30. Then, buy the Terminal Server Media Kit which cost $30 more and this License you to run Terminal Server 4.0 on that NT Server plus it gives you the License to upgrade to Win 2K Server later on. If you run Windows 2K/XP workstations, you do not need Terminal Services CALS for those workstations.

The above pricing is what my company sells them for. However, here is the information of what you need to search on the Internet to see if you get better pricing

MS Part #:C11-00821 Win 2k Server
MS Part #:C79-00539 Term Servr CALS
MS Part #:063-00299 Term Services 4.0 Media Kit

Also, remember that for every computer that is physically in the network you need to buy a Windows CAL (MS Part #C78-00480)

BTW, the good thing about having Windows 2000 Server is that you could get Terminal Services to work via the browser instead of having to install a client software on every machine. For more information go to:

All you have to do is install these the three files that you download from this URL into the Win 2K Server and Create a Virtual Web in that server pointing to the Term Server Web files copied by those files and then open and you will see your logon window. Gladys Rodriguez
GlobalStrata Solutions

The "Terminal Server 4.0 software" is, in fact, a completely separate release of Windows NT 4.0, NOT an add-on service - just to clarify :)

You can also access a Citrix MetaFrame server via a web browser - Citrix provides a product called NFuse, and NFuse Elite, which is a whole corporate portal solution providing not just apps, but company news, department info and personalised user stuff into the bargain.

CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back